Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:48:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: New Jersey river monster (pic)  (Read 3126 times)

Wicked dan

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
I am not sure if there are any norther pike in your area,  but I am lucky enough to live about 1/4 mile from a small river that holds a good amount (not that many people know it).   I landed 6 yesterday morning between 20 and 30 inches before landing this monster.  With close to 70 caught this year, this is my biggest by far.  I would say close to 20 lbs.  and 44 inches,  which is not that far from the state record. 

Danny V

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
 :o  That's a beauty!!  Man, I miss fishing for those things.  They are the lingcod of fresh water.  Awesome pics!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Looks familiar! ;D   Nice fish!!
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
That must have been a lot of fun. On that final photo, it looks like you've got the jaws wrapped closed. Is there a story there?

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Holy crap, that is a true river monster!!
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
That must have been a lot of fun. On that final photo, it looks like you've got the jaws wrapped closed. Is there a story there?

I think that's just the lure he caught it on.  You can see it in the first pic also.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Wicked dan

• Perch

Ha..yes, the story is that not only are they tough to catch,  but getting a good picture is even harder!  They are a slimy fish and getting a good grip is always an issue.  Besides spinning (that is the reason I never use a lip gripper,  it screws up the jaw when they go nuts)  they hardly ever stay still for a picture.    But when I had it on my lap,  the spinner bait and line wrapped around it's mouth,  which was a good thing.  I didn't have to worry about getting bit.

I have had a few bites in the past which resulted in some major infections and swelling, so avoiding the mouth area is always a good thing.

Danny V

micahgee

• Sturgeon
Nice pike!

Just one quick question: where is your PFD?!  :police:
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Wicked dan

• Perch
Nice pike!

Just one quick question: where is your PFD?!  :police:

Good point,  not that it's a reason not to wear one,  but the river is about 2-4 feet deep and between 30 and 50 feet wide. 

Danny V

dberd

• Salmon

Ha..yes, the story is that not only are they tough to catch,  but getting a good picture is even harder!  They are a slimy fish and getting a good grip is always an issue.  Besides spinning (that is the reason I never use a lip gripper,  it screws up the jaw when they go nuts)  they hardly ever stay still for a picture.    But when I had it on my lap,  the spinner bait and line wrapped around it's mouth,  which was a good thing.  I didn't have to worry about getting bit.

I have had a few bites in the past which resulted in some major infections and swelling, so avoiding the mouth area is always a good thing.

Danny V
Slimy is right..when I had the tiger musky in my lap,I didnt think there was any way to pick him up...so slippery!After release, amazing amounts of slime left coating net,boat and clothing.Felt kinda bad that it had lost so much slime...didnt know if it was harmed or not.
Congrats on your handling of the monster and great pics!

" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC