Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:14:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:21:36 PM]

[Today at 12:53:59 PM]

[Today at 12:52:48 PM]

[Today at 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Computer & Video Editing Software Recommendations  (Read 1938 times)

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Alright folks,

I'm in the market for a computer.  I currently have a laptop for work, iPad, iPhone, and several cameras (video & digital).  My primary uses for said computer would be web browsing, downloading pics/videos from cameras, and playing with some video editing for the monster fish vids I have yet to capture.

What would you suggest?  Any suggestions on video/picture editing software?
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
My vote is for MacBook Pro. I bought mine last year and love it. It is a bit more pricey but hey, you get what you pay for.
I use iMovie for my video editing and it rocks. Easy and fun to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Is this going to be a desktop compy?  Do you want to be able to customize/upgrade the hardware easily? I build my own desktops and they are usually running Windows operating systems but occasionally I use a Linux OS - I highly recommend both.  If you really want a computer that will last a long time and is easy on your wallet in the long run, I suggest getting a Windows desktop that you can upgrade the hardware on periodically.  They are really powerful and cheap these days.  I just recently upgraded my desktop system and upgraded the processor with it but the previous processor I used for over 7 years in a couple of different systems and it still works great(AMD dual core).  Windows 7 is proving to be a very solid operating system and it comes with a great free movie editing program that I have used for all my videos in the last few years, Windows Live Movie Maker.  I recommend ASUS(the best), HP, Lenovo, and Samsung. 

I'll hold my tongue about Mac products except that there's a reason almost all of the people in my electrical and computer engineering program don't use Macs.   >:D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:14:31 PM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Make a choice between a desktop and a laptop first.  Then don't buy a Mac.  :P

You can "build your own" desktops to whatever specs you like.  I personally like shopping online at http://www.tigerdirect.com/indexus.asp?

Good prices and great customer support.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
My 10 year old grandson was getting frustrated with iMovie on my old MacBook Pro and keep pushing me to get Final Cut Pro X. The price dropped to $299 but then it wouldn't run on my old machine so I treated myself to a new MBP with Retina Display and all Flash architecture. Not a low cost solution but really sweet system and great software.

It's a lot of fun to try and get creative with making videos.

I had considered a desktop (iMac) but decided that the portability factor was too important since I like to wrok from different spots in the house and take it with me when I travel (like now, sending this from CA).
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have tried several movie editing software packages and Serif MoviePlus 5 is what I have found to work the best for me and for the price.  It is very easy to use and it is available as a bundle http://www.amazon.com/Serif-PMSUSMBRT-Photo-Movie-Suite/dp/B004XO6UOY/ref=pd_cp_sw_0  or by itself  http://www.amazon.com/Serif-MVPX5USMBRT-MoviePlus-X5-HD/dp/B004JQDHA6/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1358216846&sr=1-1&keywords=serif+movieplus.  I bought the bundle because at the time Amazon had it cheaper than just the MoviePlus 5, but not anymore.  I use The GIMP for my photo editing (does what Photoshop does without the $692 price tag) so I have never tried the photo software that came in the bundle. 

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
Macs are neat and all, but I'm not 100% convinced that they're worth the extra $$$.  Laptop would probably be my preferred style, since travel is an option.

No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

Justin

• Sturgeon
If your wanting a laptop, I've become pretty fond of Lenovo.  They bought out IBM a few years back and are producing some pretty good machines at a reasonable price.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I use power director 10 for the PC.  Not too expensive and it works fine for me if not a little slow on my laptop.

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
If your wanting a laptop, I've become pretty fond of Lenovo.  They bought out IBM a few years back and are producing some pretty good machines at a reasonable price.

Lenovo does make good laptops.  Make sure to check reviews online though.  All manufacturers can have the occasional crappy product every once in a while.  ASUS makes awesome laptops too.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Kyle M

• Salmon
I purchased an editing software online for about $40, and am totally happy with it.  I can't remember the name, but there are a million kinds out there and I'd guess you generally get what you pay for.  Just google "video editing software" and take your pick. Have fun!

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I use power director 10 for the PC.  Not too expensive and it works fine for me if not a little slow on my laptop.

I use power director also but for some reason, the fish in my videos don't come out as big as they do in kardinal's version.  I've got to play with the setting some more.

Hey Rudy, what type of output file do you select? 

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
For photos I use ACDSee Pro.  I save all my photos in raw mode and process into JPEGs using the program.  It's cheap, intuitive, and capable, but I don't do video, just stills.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

I use power director also but for some reason, the fish in my videos don't come out as big as they do in kardinal's version.  I've got to play with the setting some more.

Hey Rudy, what type of output file do you select? 

-Spot-

lol.  The trick is to fill the frame!!!  And keep fat people like myself out of the picture to not distort the scale!

MP4 but when I hit upload to youtube it sends it as a wmv file. 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com