Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:03:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:04:32 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Drones?  (Read 2642 times)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Thanks!  Downloaded the B4UFLY and ALOFT apps on my phone (I live within restricted airspace) plus took the Recreational UAS Safety Test through Drone Trust to get my certificate.  Lots to learn.......  Kind of a pain having to get LAANC permission to fly on my own property (relatively small town with an airport).  Can't wait to start learning to fly.

Unless you are extremely close to the airport the LAANC permission should be automatic as long as its below the altitude restriction, usually 200-400 ft depending on proximity.  Otherwise it has to be reviewed by the FSDO.  You always want to avoid the FSDO and try to make sure that they do not know that you exist.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Ok, is there a micro drone with camera that is useful for suburban property owners who want to inspect their rooves for post storm damage ? Bearing in mind we live 26 miles south of seatac but have aircraft in both climb out and downslope constantly overhead,  in addition to a local general aviation airport within 5 miles with low altitude cross traffic.

Add in occasional helos at less that 500 ft covering I 5 and Hwy 18 for news and accidents.  Oh, almost forgot,  throw in low altitude military helos about 5 times a week.

Basically, I want to be able to check the roof after heavy storms within the boundaries of our property and not interfere with the big guys carrying people.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Ok, is there a micro drone with camera that is useful for suburban property owners who want to inspect their rooves for post storm damage ? Bearing in mind we live 26 miles south of seatac but have aircraft in both climb out and downslope constantly overhead,  in addition to a local general aviation airport within 5 miles with low altitude cross traffic.

Add in occasional helos at less that 500 ft covering I 5 and Hwy 18 for news and accidents.  Oh, almost forgot,  throw in low altitude military helos about 5 times a week.

Basically, I want to be able to check the roof after heavy storms within the boundaries of our property and not interfere with the big guys carrying people.

Not sure about your ideal drone, but in the auburn/federal way area you’re right on the line of the controlled airspace for drones and for airspace generally.  There is a class B shelf that crosses in an east/west arc right at the water towers on top of the north/south ridge west of auburn.  All that airplane traffic you see is going around and under the class B shelf. I’ve done it myself several times.  Auburn is a crazy busy non-towered airport.  It depends whether you live north or south of those towers as to whether or not you need permission to fly a drone (or a helicopter, or an airplane, etc.).

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Ok, is there a micro drone with camera that is useful for suburban property owners who want to inspect their rooves for post storm damage ?

Yes.  Lots.  How much do you want to spend?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
@Crash; thats exactly why im asking the question.  And, Southwest of the Auburn Gen Av facility

@Tinker: i tend to be cheap when it comes to "techy" things. The planned obsolescence model of business never caught on with me . Most of my computers in the house tend to be old, many of them refurbished, refreshed with new parts  if i can do it myself. So lets say no more than $200
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
What I don't know about camera drones could fill all the volumes in the New York Library.  What I bought for my kid was a stupidly expensive drone (for a beginner), but don't tell her that I'm hoping she won't like flying a drone so I can have it.

Look at Amazon.  There are a number of packages - ready-to-fly drone + radio controller (you'll need a mobile phone as a "screen" for most controllers) - in the $200 price range.

Don't look at the mini-drones (the "Whoops") for what you want to do; those can only fly for 3 or 4 minutes and it could take you all weekend to look at your roof.

There are a couple of members up top who first answered my question and they know a heck of a lot more than me since they actually own or have owned a drone whereas I've only shopped for one.

Perhaps we can get them interested in this thread again?

Doug

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2017
I answered at the top, but not sure who you were referring to.  Haven't flown a bunch, Haven't read the rules a bunch, but just enough to mostly stay out of trouble.  Not sure I'm qualified for most questions, as I'm pretty new at the drone thing.  Would like to fly a bigger one sometime just to compare, but I really do enjoy my mini 3 pro for the cost.  Not for windy days though.  Pretty easy to blow it around.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Is ok. After I posted that last I searched for under $200 drones in an open search engine and got some good ideas. All I need is one that can stay aloft at under 50 feet for half an hour and has good resolution. I think I might have found it in the Black Falcon drones made here in the U.S.

As I noted, and Crash corroborated,  my location might be a little .....tricky? might be the correct term , for aerial inspection of a domocilic roof.  At this point  I've got more digging for details to do

.After I watch the latest episode of The Fat Electrician on YouTube  😁

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I answered at the top, but not sure who you were referring to.  Haven't flown a bunch, Haven't read the rules a bunch, but just enough to mostly stay out of trouble.  Not sure I'm qualified for most questions, as I'm pretty new at the drone thing.  Would like to fly a bigger one sometime just to compare, but I really do enjoy my mini 3 pro for the cost.  Not for windy days though.  Pretty easy to blow it around.

More than one person replied earlier, but you'll do...  I think [WR] is is looking for product information, not flight rules.  You might have looked at DJI immediately, as I did, or maybe you searched around for other options before making your decision, and that always helps.

P.S.  When one is starting from zero, to us, you own one and that makes you practically the Stephen Hawking of hobby drones.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
What I don't know about camera drones could fill all the volumes in the New York Library.  What I bought for my kid was a stupidly expensive drone (for a beginner), but don't tell her that I'm hoping she won't like flying a drone so I can have it.

Who knows?  Maybe she will get bored with it or you can "borrow" it from time to time.  Be careful though.  The DJI Mini Pro 4 is very responsive.  I tried to fly mine into the TV in my first test takeoff (too windy outside).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 12:34:25 PM by YakHunter »
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
A little of both, Tinker. Product info I did find, and now have to work out budget details. Flight rules ? Meh, who needs em?? I just an old guy with a flying toy camera checking my property after a storm
..why should I worry about some airliner that's 8000 feet above my rooftop??🤪