Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:08:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: West Coast QCI...Gudal Bay  (Read 5338 times)

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
  • Luv Life and Catch Huge Fish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Well after a long night of drinking Budweiser and tying leaders and crimping halibut rigs, I started out bright and early at 7AM to the west coast with Richard and Cyrano...The weather was calling for Gales up to 70kms SE to East...So we figured on having a small chance to get to the Hali grounds...After we dropped long lines in the mouth of the narrows we booked it out to the west...The wind was supposed to rise to gales by the afternoon...Seas from 2metres to 4 metres...not fun especially with a headache and a hangover...But I was thinking of you guys the whole time :)

So at the head of the inlet we looked at the seas  :-\ ~~~~~ <;(((>< And we decided to at least head up the coast to our hotspot and look at the swell size...They were big...But They chucked me out into saltchuck and I rigged my poles...I knew the depth was averaging about 150 feet and not much change so I left all of the electronics in the support boat...I decided to Hog hunt...Instead of drifting the regular herring bait I wanted to limit the small fish and go after a bigger female...So I rigged a special morsal from last years freezer bags...lol...I wont say the name of the bait...For those of you with good fish ID skills... ;)

Within two minutes...I had a hog...I whistled to the boys in the big boat that hadnt even got themselves rigged yet and had them come over to take pics...Wham! Wham! the rod bent and I released the drag to feed the fish the bait...Counted to 10 and set the hook...the fish ran off the scratch and did some shakin...I was using a cheaper hali rod and reel combo...Not gonna recomend it cause it sucks...I suddenly, after trying to catch up to the slack that came up after the fish ran up, felt the lessened weight....Crap!!! The fish was gone...I hate Penn reels...lol...Im blaming to reel :) When I got the bait up it was demolished...Im figuring the fish was around 50 lbs+...Jeeze :(

So then I decided to throw out a Herring cause the swells were getting bigger and bigger and we were gonna have to tour...All together we had about an hour in the good area...After working the same area as the boys for a bit Cyrano and Richard hooked a big dogfish and lost a fish while one of them was hanging over the edge...lol...I nailed a chicken about 20# or so...good for a couple meals and to notch the devil off my shoulder regarding the curse...Though Im feeling like the devils winning with the weather war on the weekend fisherman...The winds increased and we headed back to shelter...
I must admit the swells and my hangover got the best of me...I chucked pretty harsh :( lol

We found out a friends boat nailed 7 Halis and some ling and red snapper on the long lines...Biggest was 70#... The Hali wont be safe when I unleash the pain and my bag of tricky bait next time lol :)

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
damn, nice fish!! I know that's a baby Hali up there, but i dream of catching one like that here..
See ya on the water..
Roy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice work my friend. Especially making it out there when conditions aren't perfect... hell, looks like you're dressed for snowboarding! :D JK! That's a beauty of a Hali.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
lol...The goggles hold my video camera and stop the ice pellets from piercing the face...lol...I do look a bit like a freakin weirdo...cant wait to get that latex around my neck off...Summer temps are comin

• Date Registered: May 2006
See Jeff, I said you were going to nab them next time you're out there...did I lie? >:D >:D >:D

Way-ta go buddy!  You rock dude!

VP

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I am soooo jealousssss!!!!!!!!!!.....NOT! way to go, i can only hope to catch a fish that nice.. 1st i gotta screw up the brave factor a bit and actually get out when it's "cooler"
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Nice, Jeff. Looking at the size of your first bait, I'm wondering if you needed bigger hooks? I've thought of using our local bright planters, myself. ;D

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
Your right about the hooks...I have native friends that swear by using trout(cuttthroat and dollies) on their long lines...A buddy caught a 230 lber on his long line using one...Rainbows would work just as good...just dont get in trouble...Not sure where you are but its usually illegal.. :(

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
So I rigged a special morsal from last years freezer bags...lol...I wont say the name of the bait...For those of you with good fish ID skills...

White Sea Bass....
See ya on the water..
Roy