Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:43:53 PM]

[Today at 02:19:35 PM]

[Today at 01:10:00 PM]

[Today at 11:40:28 AM]

[Today at 10:55:19 AM]

[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 102 Days Alone Around Vancouver Island  (Read 3663 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Check out this article by Robert Lyon about a solo expedition he undertook ... fishing his way around Vancouver Island.  Now there's an adventure!!!

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles/Destinations/Vancouver.html

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
Polepole,

Not to drop names, but this is the same guy who sold me that Fish-N-Dive that I use for taking out new kayak anglers.  I bid on it on eBay and when I went out to Lopez island to pick it up I was a walk-on on the ferry and so I had a couple of hours to kill before my return boat to Anacortez.  So when he brought the F-n-D down from his house to the dock, he was nice enough to visit with me and my little brother for quite a while (I was still a brand new kayak angler of course) and naturally he told me a handfull of his kayak fishing stories.  Before I left he gave me a copy of his book that includes the story that you're referring to.  It's a compilation of several of his personal stories about fishing in general.  If you are looking to find it, it's called something like: "Watermarked (The Naked Flyfisherman)".  I suspect that the subtitle is because he spent a good deal of the trip that you refer to, well... in the same swim suit that he was born in.

Yeah, I know how that all sounds.  But swear to Polepole, it's all true.  It took place about 6 weeks after that time that I rented a kayak from a guy named George, for the same little brother to use.  But that was another story.  That was the one about George Gronseth... you know, "Sea Kayaker, Deep Trouble".

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
"Water Marked - Journal of a Naked Fly Fisherman".  Is the book a good read?

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
There you go, that's the one!  A good read?  Well you've linked to what looks to me like the UN-abridged version of that particular story.  The rest were in the same fashion except more about different rivers that Rob has fished.  So you tell me then.

Something that never occured to me from that time that I talked to him personally until you reminded me of it with your post... just like you hired Howard McKim to take you out fishing from Ketchikan, some of us should DEFINITELY get together and maybe go out with Rob on an expedition some time.  There's a part of his story where he's leaving Port Hardy and he says something like "bah to humanity and double bah to civilization" but I promise you that he impressed me as being thouroughly likeable and a great guy to hang out fishing with.

If you happen to talk to him yourself, ask him in passing what he thinks of SIK compared to SOT.  You'll notice that he made his big circumnavigation in a SOT and he has a lot of reasons that he'll give you as to why.

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

anything