Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Fishing Report QCI  (Read 5210 times)

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
  • Luv Life and Catch Huge Fish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Well I decided to get out and take advantage of the nice weather and hit the Yakoun River for the steelhead run on Saturday. The river was down low, comparable to the summer average so I decided to fish the lower 6 kms where alot of deep pools are. Sort of like fishing for fish in a bucket. I stayed up and tied a bunch of flies and roe sacks friday night. And took off early with my new male weimaraner 'CREEP' and Leah my female weim(hunting dogs). We woked pretty hard for about 4 hours. It wasnt as good as the reports had said but maybe I'm a bit late for this run. I ended up catching 5 steelies, largest being 35" in length. The average for the fish I got was pretty nice. they were all over 10 lbs. They werent to interested in my flies. I was throwing various egg patterns as well as bright pink egg sucking leaches and pixie bitches. Normally its quite opposite, I expect that its due to the water level being unusually low and activity had sort of stalled. But the ate bait. I found pink out did the orange and chartruese egg sacks.
The fights were pretty nice. One took me for a ride down to the next pool and ran for a log jam. I had to muscle it or it was gone. 'Leah' was sensing the tension and figured if she swam out it would help me out or something. Shes pretty high strung even for a weimaraner. but thankfully I managed to stop the run and pull it downstream a bit to a bank and landed it.
My male tormented a male steelie in a pool I put it in for a while. Mean I know but I wanted to see the hunter come out in him. When ever the fish tried to get out he would grab his tail and drag him back. Pretty funny to watch. Anyways the river is back up and moving strong so I will be back out this weekend up about 30 kms or so to try the flies out again. Thats the local report on bank fishin for a good average steelhead.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I'm jealous of your steelhead fishery.  I was all packed up to hit the Snoqualmie River this morning but woke up with more snow on the ground.  I don't like driving in Seattle with snow on the ground, so I postponed until tomorrow.  Even then, it would not have been any where near as good as you've got it.

-Allen

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
Hey Wolf do you know where the Enchanted river is in BC. I was just reading an article on it in STS
Matt
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
oh ya love the photo, Your my new hero, like the gals too. ;D
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
Well Im not quite familiar with a real popular Enchanted River. There are alot of places in the rockies that try to attract tourists with the name "Enchanted Forest" or stop at the Enchanted Kingdom with little hiking trails and creeks and stuff. Did the article give any kind of landmark for you? I remember an Enchanted River in the Bella Coola Valley just off Highway 22 from Williams lake to Bella Coola. Great fishing along there man...Wow. Big Chinook and tons of Bull trout and Rainbows

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
I did get out on a river today.  Started at Tokul Creek at the crack of dawn.  Hooked into a small brat before I could barely see.  Proceeded to cracker it.  Hooked into another about 10 minutes later and crackered it too.  Couldn't buy a bite after that, once the light came out, the fish became real skittish as the water in the creek is way low.  Went down to the main Snoqualmie and drifted eggs for a bit before I had to run home to start work.

-Allen

Water Wolf QCI

• Rockfish
Sounds like your river is nice and clear. I miss the clear rivers. Theres alot of rivers here but most on the Northern Island have alot of tanin. Semi clear but not like other places in BC. Heres a beauty picture of a river off that lake with the big rainbow trout up to 25 lbs I was telling you about. When this river has a big white moth hatch in early august late july you would just trip out. The rainbow get like 8 - 10 pounds and you catch them on Dry flies...Amazing...Then the salmon come in and you get them feasting on eggs...So eggsucking leaches at the river mouths or bucktailing big flies out front in the bait balls wow. This river though is one of my favorite in BC for big Rainbows

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
With a catch like that, you can keep the fish!!!
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

anything