Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 08:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 20, 2024, 04:24:50 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 02:19:35 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 01:10:00 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:55:19 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Critically injured kayaker on American Lake (Tacoma)  (Read 8126 times)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
A boater ran over a kayaker on American Lake then proceeded to leave the scene.
http://www.tdn.com/articles/2009/03/02/breaking_news/doc49abfc713454c275010987.txt

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/649818.html
"At this time, there is nothing to indicate that the other boater intended to hurt Ross or acted in a negligent or reckless manner" Not negligent?? What the kayaker jumped out in front of him?? WTF!?!?

Then found the bastardo 4 days later!
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/northwest/story/820421.html

Sending out a lot of good vibes to the 14-year-old, David Kenny "DK" Ross who's in the hospital with critical injuries.

Let's all stay safe out there.

Z
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:27:51 AM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
This sucks, My thoughts go out to him and his family

Completely different thoughts goes out to the idiot boater...
See ya on the water..
Roy

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
what, with all the dudes on this board, we have no ex-navy-seals with a shed full of limpet mines?  bummer about the kid; is there a fund setup anywhere?
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
This is one of my worst kayaking fears.....

Hey -Z- any word on those NWKA flags?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
what, with all the dudes on this board, we have no ex-navy-seals with a shed full of limpet mines?  bummer about the kid; is there a fund setup anywhere?

Hermansen and Ross asked people to donate blood as a tribute to D.K.

“By donating blood, you will be helping someone else in need just as D.K. was fortunate in his time of need,” they said.

See ya on the water..
Roy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
This is one of my worst kayaking fears.....

Hey -Z- any word on those NWKA flags?

Yeah I feel ya.

No progress with the flags as we're still dealing with hawg troughs. Once we've got those cleared we can start on the flags. Not enough cashola unless everyone can put down some cash for flag orders ahead of time.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
I read it twice and in the second story it clarified that the boater who hit him did not leave the scene, he brought him to shore to get help, but lied about hitting him i guess. well, at least he didn't leave the scene, lucky for him too, he would be in a world of trouble..
See ya on the water..
Roy

OutbackRoy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008

Go armed...... Maybe a 10 ga flare properly deployed would get their attention..

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008

how 'bout an ex cavalry demolitions sergeant with a safe full of shotguns and AR's??
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Was at American Lake VA hospital last week because of my back troubles.. saw Wanted posters all over the place ..from the picture on the poster, the kids yak was burnt orange... boater must've been either drunk or blind to miss the guy, it had been fairly nice that day.

my hopes are that the courts lift up a corner of the jail and drop it on top this twit if he goes to trial..
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
yeah, richard, the kid's boat was pretty bright.  i don't get it.  so many stinkpots on autopilot, though.  people just aren't looking around.  maybe you can write an article for the rigging section.  on how to mount a turret onto a SOT kayak.  just take one off of that multi-wheeled beast in your avatar.
Blog/Photo Dump

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Bummer news. I hope the kid recovers O.K.  My older brother has been living without his spleen since 1973.
That's my main worry about paddling in big lakes or on the Sound. Most of the small lakes and estuaries and smaller tidal creeks I paddle in, I never see any power boats going fast.
I try to stay very aware on the bigger rivers like the Chehalis and lower Willapa, after nearly getting run over in the early morning fog on the Willapa. I didn't have a light, and my canoe had a dull brown paint job.
I'm making a flag for my Ultimate 12 so I don't become ultimate dog meat.
ConeHeadMuddler

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Gee, I sure hope that kid makes a complete recovery. If he dies, the guy who hit him will bear emotional scars for the rest of his life, too. Tragic.
 I took my new Revo to American Lake last august, we stayed pretty close to the shore at the VA grounds, there were a couple PB's running around but no real reckless boaters seen that day.
   A flag is a good safety item, I plan to get one soon.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
yeah, richard, the kid's boat was pretty bright.  i don't get it.  so many stinkpots on autopilot, though.  people just aren't looking around.  maybe you can write an article for the rigging section.  on how to mount a turret onto a SOT kayak.  just take one off of that multi-wheeled beast in your avatar.

yeh, ain't it cool ;D ... been upside down inside of 4 of them since the beginning of the week fixing the comm systems so we can hand them back to the army soon. that's a 105 mm m68 on the top fed by an auto loader.. this does 70+ mph   :o and can fire accurately on the move out to 2 miles at 45 mph... was featured on the cover of popular science back in 2000- 2001 forget which.. cover said "HOT ROD TANK" or some such...

this poor kid getting hurt just enforces what i said in other threads about bein run over.. also the lights should go on for everyone else reading this thread, and following that link, that safety is a never ending process.

as for a turret..nahhh, give me a nice zodiac and a pair of mini guns....

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
Is it wrong to lust after said hot rod tank.  I mean, REALLY lust?  That's insanely cool work you do, man.  I'm gonna dig through some Pop Sci archives!
Blog/Photo Dump

anything