Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:51:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Upper Kenai one more time! 10/7/11  (Read 1966 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Second time ever on the Upper Kenai River.  Last time I got skunked.  This time I managed to hook 7 fish and landed 2.  Nice chunky rainbows.  The largest was probably around 20 inches.  Took me over 6 minutes to land it on my 4wt.  Most likely due to the fact that I rarely use a flyrod.  So the fishing is probably pretty hot for those who know what they are doing.  Considering its my second time on the Upper Kenai and I rarely use a flyrod for anything other than flipping reds and kings with straight mono, I think the results were decent.

I threw everything I had and I got hits on a light pink 6mm bead and a mottled pink 8mm bead.  I couldn't buy a hit on flesh flies.  I still have not caught anything on them.

It's enjoyable, and on a 4wt, the rainbows definitely battle.  Might need to step up to a 6wt as casting more than 30 ft is tough.  I'm still not convinced that this is better than fishing Kings!  But considering it's mid October, this is a nice float with potential for decent fish.  With my mini-x kayak that weighs 38 pounds, it's an easy trip to prepare for and get on the water. It certainly is a great fishery for when the Ocean is too rough for feeder kings. 

I used Wildman's shuttle last week and this week and it worked out perfectly. Going to hit it again tomorrow for a half day then i got to run back and put on a tux for the Mayor's Ball...waders and drysuits are so much more comfortable.....

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Nice job Rudy! Looks like a lot of fun! Hmmm I haven't really thought of taking my kayak on the river. I might have to join you sometime if the weather isn't to cold!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Nice job Rudy! Looks like a lot of fun! Hmmm I haven't really thought of taking my kayak on the river. I might have to join you sometime if the weather isn't to cold!
GRAB YOUR GEAR!  Headed out the dooor right now!  lol. 

I think the middle river would be a great trip on my Hobie and your ocean Kayak.  Got to cross a mile of Skilak Lake but then drift down to Bing's.  Never have done it.  Might Sunday if I don't do something else.  Got to get going!  Half day today!  Frickin have to wear a %**&^  no good, *^*!#, uncomfortable tuxedo tonight.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I have floated the middle from skilak last year. I didn't really know where to go and the water was higher in july of last year. I didn't get around to doing it this year because of all of the kayak fishing. We took a 14 ft raft. My parents own. I would try if the weather was good. And I know there are a ton of fish. I might try in the middle of the week.

anything