Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: First water to target  (Read 2110 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok,  It was great to meet Akfishergal and Ak YAk Atak.  I know a few of us are eyeing up a start as early as April 14.  Not sure if I am going to make that date but I am open this weekend (April 7-8) and the the weekend of April 21-22.

I finally got the intel I was looking for.  See:  http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Reports/Fishreport/anglerreport.html

This is exactly where I was catching Kings in October.  The green can in the background is less than a mile from the spit.  I think I am going to target this area for my first try weather permitting.  It's easy launch from next to the condos (at least without the snow, not sure how much they got), sheltered on three sides from wind, and the current as long as you are away from the tip of the spit is minimal.

It's a long drive but I'd rather drive to a spot where I have some confidence I can catch fish.  Not sure I will be ready this weekend but I am going to try and get geared up. 

This isn't necessarily an invite to go with me only because I am SO unreliable as a fishing partner.  Between my kids and job, I can never guarantee I will be going.  But stayed tuned.  Weather one week out (so its unreliable) looks very doable.  The good thing about Homer is you can always try the other side of the spit for cod, pollock, and flounder if the outside is not looking very good.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=FZAK51PAFC&type=marine

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:99603.1.99999#forecast
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Update....

First let me clarify the statement about it not being an invitation to fish with me.  ANYONE is ALWAYS welcome to come with me.  The point was I hate to commit to something I cannot follow through on.

I just got more intel that the snow is pretty much gone off the spit and the launch should be easy.  I also got further intel on how to fish.  It makes a lot of sense to me. 

So I am now thinking more and more about trying this as soon as possible.  One downside is I think there are big tides starting April 5th.  I guess no big deal as long as you fish twelve hours! 

So I am going to shoot for Saturday in Homer if everything comes together...espcially the weather.

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
No worries -- we understand fluid circumstances driven by responsibilities. Life intrudes often, but it's still good to have a plan for the next opportunity to fish.  Looking forward to your weekend report, as I have Easter weekend obligations already on the books. The following Saturday, and the one after, are clear.  Homer likely for one of them.

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Kills me to say it but I cant even attempt to go.  :'( We have plans of course on sunday, and my wife is out of town this week and I dont want to skip out on her when she gets back friday. DANGIT

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Lol. No worries. I'll probably have bad karma for going out on Easter weekend and get skunked. But for kings I don't mind. It's just a matter of time. Banking the hours waiting for that inevitable if not rare takedown. I might as well start racking up the rod hours. Hope the weather and other responsibilities allow!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Rudy,

i will tell you that if the wife is working my @$$ is headed out fishing....i would actually be interested in a long trip to some areas outside of the pass in seward. I have all of the backpacking gear to stay for no more than about a week. But i would be done for a long trip and possibly a mothership launch to McMullen Cove to stay in that area with the state cabin in that area. Awesome fishing and its about 250 bucks for a round trip taxi. I could also kill me a bear lol
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
That would be an awesome trip. Black bear hunting from kayaks!

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Add deer hunting and fishing to to that trip and it would be awesome...oh wait, I'm doing that in september in PWS.  Damn the bad luck.

I'm finishing up my move this weekend, but I'll be out the 14th and/or the 15th.  Do I dare go out on Friday the 13th????
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I've never shot anything bigger than a goose. Loved to duck hunt growing up but my parents hated that I wouldn't eat the muddy buggers and they had to.

I'll know better as Saturday gets closer whether I attempt it or not. If it looks better than fifty fifty, I'll start a planning thread.

Looked like a ton of snow in Whittier. Seward is a LONG drive to not catch anything. I'm thinking it's Homer or bust. If the waves are too much, maybe try the inside of the spit for AOTY flounder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

BearToothClaw

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
I will be down on the weekend of 4 May, me and my boys will be trying for some chickens and some flounder   whatever bites between Ninilchik and Homer. We are leaving Friday and coming back Sunday, they have already been warned and told to get all the belly aching out now. I dont think i will have my kayak by then so we will be on the cataraft. This month needs to move along.

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
went down with my wife and I to the spit between the condos, the snow is mostly gone, we went down Sat. the 31st. The weather was awesome! Just a light breeze, we took our time going down on friday and stayed the night in Soldotna. Didn't get on the water off the spit until 10 was on the water for about 4 hours. We didn't troll around, just paddled out to the green buoy and dropped mooching set ups to the bottom with herring. My wife of course outfished me. Caught the biggest Irish Lord and a flounder. Got some sun and enjoyed our first trip on the water. Oh yeah, and forgot the new gopro2 in the jeep........... Good luck! I agree with Rudy, I don't want to commit to a trip, you know how it goes, stuff happens and plans change. If we see you guys down there great! Hope you guys catch some fish and safe traveling!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
went down with my wife and I to the spit between the condos, the snow is mostly gone, we went down Sat. the 31st. The weather was awesome! Just a light breeze, we took our time going down on friday and stayed the night in Soldotna. Didn't get on the water off the spit until 10 was on the water for about 4 hours. We didn't troll around, just paddled out to the green buoy and dropped mooching set ups to the bottom with herring. My wife of course outfished me. Caught the biggest Irish Lord and a flounder. Got some sun and enjoyed our first trip on the water. Oh yeah, and forgot the new gopro2 in the jeep........... Good luck! I agree with Rudy, I don't want to commit to a trip, you know how it goes, stuff happens and plans change. If we see you guys down there great! Hope you guys catch some fish and safe traveling!

Sweet! Thanks for he report. Going to really try to make it Saturday. Glad to here you got a flounder. That's worth a few aoty points! Lol. Anytime you can fish open water in March in Alaska, fish or no fish, you got to love it. 

All systems go so far. Weather looks like it might hold. I'll post a trip planning thread starting tomorrow if everything stays as is. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
That cat will work great!

anything