Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Repurposing an EZ-Loader  (Read 2461 times)

Mzungu19

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
When I purchased 2 kayaks for myself and my wife I had every intention of transporting them on my truck with a rack. Only after purchasing the rack did I realize how difficult it would be to get them up there and that the rack would be too narrow for 2 fat (and heavy) boats. I’m on to plan B which is to repurpose a boat trailer. Has anyone used an EZ-Loader with rollers to carry their Kayaks? Any lessons learned? I am well into the project, but it’s not too late to go another direction with it if there’s something I’m not considering and it’s a bad idea.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I have a jetski trailer what I modded that does a very creditable job with my Outback and my first wife's Sport. Both wide boats. It isn't quite wide enough to put two Outbacks between the wheels.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Stevm

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I used a drift boat trailer to haul my Outback for a couple years.  The one boat was a little light for the springs and I ended up adding a utility box to haul gear on the other side and that helped tremendously.  The only downside was the grit the open wheel wells threw on the kayak on gravel roads - I would often have to rinse the boat seat before I went fishing...
It was definitely easier to load!
“Once a year go someplace you have never been “
Dali Llama

2015 Outback Dune
2020 Outback Dune
20? OK Trident 13 Dune Camo

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
excellent, now hit it with a can of flat black DeRusto and maybe add some flames to the sides... ;D
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Looks great and in theory should work well. I'd hit it with some rustoleum and add a flag so you can see it in the rearview mirror when backing down boat ramps.
Post some pics of the finished product.
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Mzungu19

• Herring
Well, it’s been a very long road, but worth the journey. The previously discussed trailer project (seems like forever since my original post) is finished and ready to haul our boats. Still planning on moving the axle forward a bit and shortening the tongue, as well as installing some tie-down hooks and adding security. Would have loved to close it in a little better with sheet steel/aluminum or expanded metal, but was cost prohibitive. Otherwise ready for more adventures with a very patient and understanding wife :).

I have considered flipping old boat trailers into kayak/camping trailers as a hobby, but the price of steel made this project much more expensive than I anticipated. It might be tough to turn a dollar with current prices of steel and wood but it was very rewarding none the less. Also not sure what this trailer is now worth, since there’s not a lot of them out there configured this way.

See y’all on the water!

Ted

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Very nicely done Ted!  You are spot on with the price of steel these days....  My own kayak trailer project in 2020 taught me that very quickly and of course how much of your free time it took to complete.  Looks very professional.  You can be proud of a job well done!   :hello2:
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Still planning on moving the axle forward a bit and shortening the tongue, as well as installing some tie-down hooks and adding security.

That’s a really good looking build.  Just curious why you are wanting to shorten the tongue.  My experience has been that trailers tow better and back easier with a longer tongue.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Still planning on moving the axle forward a bit and shortening the tongue, as well as installing some tie-down hooks and adding security.

That’s a really good looking build.  Just curious why you are wanting to shorten the tongue.  My experience has been that trailers tow better and back easier with a longer tongue.

+1 I've never wished my trailer tongues were shorter, but maybe that's just me. Consider that you might someday want a longer kayak.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
By the way, AWESOME BUILD! Love the utility value of all that space below the kayaks and everything turned out looking so nice - really well done.

As far as the price of steel and all that, it's true, but it's true for everyone, so the prices will be going up across the board for things like this. So, might still be a good idea.

Mzungu19

• Herring
Thanks for the comments guys. As to the tongue length, I did end up removing 2’ of it yesterday and I’m very happy with the results. It tracks better now and I don’t think I’ll move the axle forward. Backing a shorter tongue trailer is definitely a bigger challenge. But this one is still a breeze even with 2’ removed. Total weight, according to the scales in Winston says 650# with about 80 of that as tongue weight. The distance from the front of my kayak and the tailgate is now 5’, which is a lot of room for other, longer boats. I don’t think for myself I’ll have anything longer than my Predator.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:24:31 PM by Mzungu19 »

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
You're right, that's a lot of wiggle room for a longer boat or other stuff in the future. Again, really nice build!

Mzungu19

• Herring