Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: redneck navigation light  (Read 2840 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
This popped up on my youtubes and I thought it was a pretty good build for the buck.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Claymaker

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Oct 2021
did you end up making one?

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Not as of yet. I would probably end up getting a separate battery. I wouldn't want to rob power from my ff.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

parkie

• Herring
thinking about making this plus the use of a dewalt battery. I think it may work, im not an electrician and hoping someone with more electrical knowledge can chime in here. here's another video for refereence to use with a powertool battery:

skip to 2 minutes

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I made a DIY version of a Yak Power Pack Battery Box.  I purchased a battery dock power connector off Amazon which I mounted into a small waterproof case.  Used a power step down converter to drop voltage from 20v to 12v.  It has a waterproof female SAE pigtail connector plus a waterproof dual USB plug (nice to have for charging phones or other electronics).  The USB plug also has a built in meter to monitor charge level.  The setup allows me to utilize my copious Dewalt batteries for power and is readily portable.  I need to make a second one for when I take someone out using my other kayaks (winter project).  I generally use my 5 or 6ah batteries and carry a spare in case I run out of power (haven't so far).  I put a on/off switch in the box to prevent the battery from discharging when not in use because of the volt meter in the USB plug.  One of the best things is that the Dewalt batteries charge very quickly unlike my lead/acid setup.     
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 08:44:32 AM by YakHunter »
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

parkie

• Herring
I made a DIY version of a Yak Power Pack Battery Box.  I purchased a battery dock power connector off Amazon which I mounted into a small waterproof case.  Used a power step down converter to drop voltage from 20v to 12v.  It has a waterproof female SAE pigtail connector plus a waterproof dual USB plug (nice to have for charging phones or other electronics).  The USB plug also has a built in meter to monitor charge level.  The setup allows me to utilize my copious Dewalt batteries for power and is readily portable.  I need to make a second one for when I take someone out using my other kayaks (winter project).  I generally use my 5 or 6ah batteries and carry a spare in case I run out of power (haven't so far).  I put a on/off switch in the box to prevent the battery from discharging when not in use because of the volt meter in the USB plug.  One of the best things is that the Dewalt batteries charge very quickly unlike my lead/acid setup.   

Nice! This is exactly what i was thinking. Since the battery i'd be using only powers a led brake light rated at 12-24v i won't need a step down converter, correct?

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
If you are just using it for only the light then you don't need the step down.  If you are going to use this power system for USB charging or fish finders, I do recommend the step down module.  I am surprised how often I use the power box for non-fishing uses.  I use it to charge my phone/tablets when in the back country (camping) or during power outages at home.  Used it recently to power a fuel pump to remove 10 year old fuel from a friends boat that we just replaced the inboard engine (before starting the rebuilt of course).  I used it to test my trailer's electric brakes last summer.  The box has come in handy.   :) 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:18:05 AM by YakHunter »
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

parkie

• Herring
If you are just using it for only the light then you don't need the step down.  If you are going to use this power system for USB charging or fish finders, I do recommend the step down module.  I am surprised how often I use the power box for non-fishing uses.  I use it to charge my phone/tablets when in the back country (camping) or during power outages at home.  Used it recently to power a fuel pump to remove 10 year old fuel from a friends boat that we just replaced the inboard engine (before starting the rebuilt of course).  I used it to test my trailer's electric brakes last summer.  The box has come in handy.   :)

just got around to building this, i noticed that my system still drains the battery when the switch is off.. did you notice this aswell?

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!

just got around to building this, i noticed that my system still drains the battery when the switch is off.. did you notice this aswell?

The stepdown will siphon power very slowly.  Did you place your switch between the battery and the step down transformer or after the transformer?  With my switch being between the battery and the transformer I have not seen any battery drain.  Pulling the battery when not in use is another alternative (I use my Dewalt tools more than my fish finder anyway).  I carry a back up battery just in case.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 08:21:42 AM by YakHunter »
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

parkie

• Herring
ah thanks, didn't know about the stepdown. Button was after stepdown so i'll either change that or just not place the battery in.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
Here is a wiring diagram for my box. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

anything