Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Moving to Central Kitsap  (Read 2210 times)

Crayfish

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Hey everyone,
I'm happy to say after a year of living in central Texas, I'm moving to Central Kitsap, WA this October.  My previous experience kayak fishing was from a couple years in California  where I had a Jackson Kraken and then an older Adventure Island.  I've never had much luck fishing, but still enjoy it and did pretty good getting some dungies normally.  I sold the AI before the Texas move so I'll have to start searching for another kayak setup once we get settled in.  While down in Texas I've been able to get a little surf fishing in.  In the meantime I'm looking forward to learning about the areas and the types of fishing up in WA.

PEELING LINE

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
Welcome.  You'll be shocked how over regulated the fishing is here especially compared to Texas.

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
  • Can't wait to catch my next fish!
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Welcome.  You'll be shocked how over regulated the fishing is here especially compared to Texas.

I've been extremely perplexed by all the regulations in WA!
Thank you all for any kindness provided in the the Pacific Northwest.

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Welcome to the NWKA Crayfish.  The Pacific North West is definitely a change from Texas.  Lost of good people on this forum willing to share. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018

Hi there,
Washington state fishing regulations, in particular for salmonids, are some of the most complex in the world. This is in part due to the very complex system of sea, rivers and lakes sustaining fish populations that are at different population and conservation levels. A more complex system of when, where and what to open to fishing is expected to maximize fishing opportunities as oppossed to say a more simplified system where in order to protect the weakest population you may have to close larger areas for larger periods and therefore offer less fishing opportunities. WA state has been trying to simplify fishing rules based on public input in recent years. Irrespectively of fishing rules being complex or simplified in nature, something that is clear is that a number of fishing regulations are confusing or open to interpretation and abuse. I have no problem with rules being complex to allow more fishing opportunities, if only those rules could be made clearer and unambiguous!   

If you are new to the area, make sure to check not only the WDFW fishing regulations pamphlet but also the emergency regulations, which are in-season changes to the pamphlet:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/

The WDFW fishing app is pretty good too in helping how to navigate the specific regulations for the area you may want to fish:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/app

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:32:46 AM by skayaker2 »

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

Hi there,
Washington state fishing regulations, in particular for salmonids, are some of the most complex in the world. This is in part due to the very complex system of sea, rivers and lakes sustaining fish populations that are at different population and conservation levels. A more complex system of when, where and what to open to fishing is expected to maximize fishing opportunities as oppossed to say a more simplified system where in order to protect the weakest population you may have to close larger areas for larger periods and therefore offer less fishing opportunities. WA state has been trying to simplify fishing rules based on public input in recent years. Irrespectively of fishing rules being complex or simplified in nature, something that is clear is that a number of fishing regulations are confusing or open to interpretation and abuse. I have no problem with rules being complex to allow more fishing opportunities, if only those rules could be made clearer and unambiguous!   

If you are new to the area, make sure to check not only the WDFW fishing regulations pamphlet but also the emergency regulations, which are in-season changes to the pamphlet:
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/

The WDFW fishing app is pretty good too in helping how to navigate the specific regulations for the area you may want to fish:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/app

Don't forget the tribes and Boldt decision!

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Yup, the re-affirmation of tribal fish and shellfish rights by Boldt (1974) and then Rafeedie (1994) set the table for co-management of fisheries resources between WA state and the Tribes and that also adds many complexities to fishing regulations (and many other aspects of anything related to fish and shelfish in the state). For those not familiar with the history here is some history reading:
https://www.historylink.org/file/21084

Crayfish

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Yup, the re-affirmation of tribal fish and shellfish rights by Boldt (1974) and then Rafeedie (1994) set the table for co-management of fisheries resources between WA state and the Tribes and that also adds many complexities to fishing regulations (and many other aspects of anything related to fish and shelfish in the state). For those not familiar with the history here is some history reading:

That was a pretty interesting read.  So the status is still co-management with up to 50% take going to tribes, but conservation rules can limit recreational take before then, on a stream-by-stream/run basis?  Sounds pretty hard to manage.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

That was a pretty interesting read.  So the status is still co-management with up to 50% take going to tribes, but conservation rules can limit recreational take before then, on a stream-by-stream/run basis?  Sounds pretty hard to manage.

It's done with a pretty elaborate model which core utilizes coded wire tag data (for when/where each stock is present).