Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:21:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Need help with Kayak selection  (Read 4203 times)

parkie

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2021
Hey all,

Looking to fish the Columbia and troll for salmon and also occasionally go crabbing/trolling at Garibaldi. Which kayak do you guys/gals recommend?

Native titan 10.5
Old town pdl 105
Old town pdl 120

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
How much can you dead lift? The Titans are heavy. Car top or trailer?

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

parkie

• Herring
Deadlift around 240. Good point though, this will be cartop which is top of the range for the roof rack i have.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I have PDL 120 and love it.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I think you may find either of the 10 foot boats too short for comfortably trolling on the Columbia and lacking the space needed to transport crab pots. 

parkie

• Herring
Hobie Outback.  ;D

If i could afford it, i probably would. But this is my first kayak and don't want to be spending $3k+ on the Kayak alone.

I have PDL 120 and love it.

Yes this was my first choice, until a 10.5 Native came on the market with all the bells and whistles for $2,000.

I think you may find either of the 10 foot boats too short for comfortably trolling on the Columbia and lacking the space needed to transport crab pots. 

That was my suspicion, thanks for the confirmation  :)

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I also have a PDL 120...heavy kayak, but incredibly stable.  Would be a great crabbing platform and works well for trolling too.  I agree about the 10' probably being  shy on space.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
There are a couple used Outbacks up for sale on the forum and the LCKA facebook group.  People seem to be pretty universally happy with the PDLs though.  TOo heavy for my tastes, but seem like a good platform.

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I have a 12ft Outback & 10ft Native, love them both. For trolling the Columbia, I'd suggest 12ft.
The Native would be great for crabbing, not so great for fighting current and trolling.
Others make it work, but bicycle drives wears me out. The Hobie drive is much more efficient.

A Hobie Compass might check all of your boxes. Out of the 3 options you've presented, I'd go with the OT 12.

My $.02.
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Having owned a Hobie outback (still do but going to sell) and now a OT Sportsman 120 PDL I think it's tough to compare the two or pick based on what you are doing. For trolling I prefer the Hobie drive style, but the instant reverse and standing ability made the OT much better for my style of fishing, since I am more often than not bass fishing this was more important to me. I figure if I am going to be Bass fishing 80% of the time I should go with what is best for that, it doesn't mean I can't troll the Columbia for Salmon or Crab from it, the tankwell design in the OT may actually be better for crab pots as well...  But ultimately the OT is not as ideal for ME for trolling. Until you try them both out I am not sure if you could know which you prefer. Some people love the bicycle motion and others like the fluttering hobie style. To me it didn't matter a whole lot either way and the cost of a new OT at $2,200 was a huge factor compared to the cost of a new outback.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
... The Hobie drive is much more efficient. ...

Do you have any actual data on this? I've wondered about it for some time -- how efficiently each system converts human power into propulsion.

I've read variously that the bicycle system is more efficient and that the mirage drive is more efficient, but I've never seen a reputable citation or source for either claim.

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Check out the Old Town Sportsman Salty PDL 120. Lots of great review videos on youtube. That or maybe a Hobie Compass (lighter, cheaper, streamlined hobie outback alternative).

Edit added below with a potential "deal" on a salty PDL (15-30% off) and where a few are currently available without having to pay extra for shipping.

Salty 120 PDL Pros/Cons

+ $1,999;
+ Curved front bow to take on waves;
+ Open front area for crab pot/fish bag;
+ Large back storage area;
+ 79 lbs unassembled (104 with removable drive and chair);
+ Sprints at up to 6.5 mph; 4.5 mph cruising speed with minimal effort;
+ Instant reverse;
+ Purportedly a quieter drive than the Hobie Mirage system (which can creak);
+ 5 year drive warranty; lifetime hull warranty (manufacturer defects);
+ Has some great cheap mods available at Navarre Kayak Fishing (who posts YouTube videos);
+ Drive system floats if it falls out.

- Out of stock practically everywhere. REI just got another shipment, however.
- 79 lbs unassembled (104 with drive and chair) is still somewhat heavy;
- Prop drive system, so can catch weeds easier than a Hobie drive;
- Needs 11-12" of water to operate;
- No accessible in-hull storage hatch (only one is under your seat);
- Hooking up a fish finder may require drilling unless you run the wire along the hull;
- Will likely want to add a short carry handle on the front/back (they're molded in).

Edit: I've now ordered one from REI for a third time. There's currently 9 left in their national warehouse system. If you select in-store pickup at the Hillsboro REI they may call to offer you a damaged one for 15-30% off (which I declined). I previously refused acceptance of that same one back in September--it got kissed by a forklift in a few places, and I'm not savvy/patient enough to fix it. If you might be and want a deal, however, select the Hillsboro REI store for pick-up and see what deal you can cut when the manager calls you. Unless someone else already took the plunge. Perhaps just call the Hillsboro store to speak to the manager before ordering?

From what I recall, the right mid-yak grab handle's embossed/raised old town logo was scraped off and there was minor, shallow scrapes on the rear left. But the front right of the kayak near the water-line was gouged pretty deeply over a few inches. I was surprised how thick the hull was. Looked like a forklift kissed it once or twice. With the proper equipment or know-how you could probably hobie solder/weld that with black/green plastic or possibly sand and epoxy it. My guess is that'd likely void the lifetime hull warranty, however.

I'll be picking up my now 3rd attempt at ordering one at the Tigard REI instead, to make sure that one stops following me around.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 10:55:45 PM by LawyerBob »

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013

Do you have any actual data on this? I've wondered about it for some time -- how efficiently each system converts human power into propulsion.

I've read variously that the bicycle system is more efficient and that the mirage drive is more efficient, but I've never seen a reputable citation or source for either claim.

He might mean that it’s more efficient for his own legs, as far as how long he can keep going without getting exhausted, rather than the pure mechanical efficiency.  At least, that’s one way to read it…

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019

He might mean that it’s more efficient for his own legs, as far as how long he can keep going without getting exhausted, rather than the pure mechanical efficiency.  At least, that’s one way to read it…

Jim

Yep, that's a reasonable interpretation. I guess I was hoping that Dungy knew of something definitive.

OP -- I don't have any experience w/ any of those boats. I do have experience w/ a heavy boat though (Perception Pescador) and I used this method to rooftop (dude talks way too much but it's the best vid I know of this technique):
https://youtu.be/gC6F_JmzseU?t=93

Made loading/unloading pretty easy peasy.