Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Okuma Low Profile Reel  (Read 2446 times)

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Went out on Siltcoos for likely the last time this winter.  I was primarily magnet fishing for my lost rods and reels from my October flip. (Thanks to the pb who held onto my coho while I righted the ship!)

I didn’t find the rods or reels so I took it as a sign to buy the Okuma 350 low profile I’ve been eyeing.  I marched into Bi-Mart ready to pay the full price and at checkout the total was 83.50!  I am now thanking the Siltcoos lake god for swallowing my old reel!

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
...I was primarily magnet fishing for my lost rods and reels from my October flip....

You just casually mention a spill and don't go into any detail? C'mon, don't be a monster! Deets!

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
the BiMart ad that I got has Okuma and Cascade Pro rods and reels 30% off through Nov.30.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Crabman

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Trolled around Siltcoos for about four hours in search of my tag out coho and my lack of success means that I get to fish another day.  May have to try and stay away until a big rain pops the dam.  Nice meeting Oldhammer out there.  If you see him tell him I snagged both his rods and will sell them back to him for $100.  ( Just kidding)

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
...I was primarily magnet fishing for my lost rods and reels from my October flip....

You just casually mention a spill and don't go into any detail? C'mon, don't be a monster! Deets!

Oh the shame....November 6 I hit Siltcoos at 6:45 am.  I don't really know what I'm doing but with last winter's "scouting" missions and rogerdodger's encouragement in my head I am hopeful.  I approach Booth Island and work my way South along the east facing shoreline with a Black on Black spinner.  Cast, Retrieve, Remove weeds x 32.  Approach the south tip facing the pointy stump near the reeds.  Cast, Partial Retrieve, Pedal 10 yds and the rod dips.  Confident that it is another clump of Siltcoos Salad I retrieve with some level of irritation and all hell breaks loose.  Drag peels off and with the image of an underwater snag breaking off my line, I tighten and reel. 

After 3 to 5 minutes the chrome beauty is at my Yak.  I net him flawlessly without issue.   Once in the boat he is pissed.  I quickly learn that a 27 in Coho is very different than the lmb and rt I regularly catch.  Still, I bonk him and then grab my scissors to bleed him...at this point I begin to feel like I should be on the pro staff of some sponsor.  I lean to the side to bleed him as I've done 100s of times.  However, I quickly realize that this is a different task than bleeding an 18in rainbow and so I manuever quickly to make sure I don't drop him back in the lake.

And just like I've seen on youtube a hundred times when some idiot leans his head to far off the side, physics takes over and I reach the point of no return and I am now the idiot in the water with an upside down kayak.  I have a drysuit on but due to inertia I never practiced self-rescue during the dog days of summer.  I start to right my kayak then realize...MY COHO!  I see him floating away and swim to him.  Once re-united my hunter-gatherer brain takes over and he has become an extension of my arm which I refuse to part with.  I swim back to my kayak and try to right the ship while holding onto the fish....that really doesn't work too well.  I lean back into the water, survey the horizon and see a powerboat in the distance.  I wave my arm (the one not holding the fish) and it approaches me.  I let them know in no uncertain terms that I need some help.  Realizing I am whiteknuckling a coho, I offer him up and ask that they take good care of him while we figure this out.  With their assistance, I am back in my kayak in minutes.  They hand me back my fish and he goes in my kill bag. With much effusive gratitude from me, we part and I begin to pedal back feeling simultaneously elated and pissed.  I realize I am having a hard time seeing in the distance and realize I no longer have glasses.  I look around the deck and see that everything except my two rods and reels and a small Daves tangle free box of rings, snaps, and swivels is still where it belongs. 

I return to camp, dry everything out and fillet the coho.  It is only 10am!  I return to the lake the next day with a brand new steelhead spinning rod and reel I have been dreaming of.  I join a buddy on his sled and show him the ropes and after 3 hours of pounding the banks with spinners he pulls out a nearly identical coho. 

I love this fishery.  Thank you to rogerdodger for all his tips and advice.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 12:53:37 PM by Oldhammer »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
awesome story, made so much better because you didn't lose the fish.  ;D
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Great story for sure!

This is a fish that you will remember. Fishing days and catches blend into each other as time goes by but a fish like this will always stick out.

Realizing that you are suddenly no longer wearing glasses brings back some memories for me of flipping in the ocean surf....

Crabman

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Anybody who prioritizes saving a freshly netted chrome salmon over their glasses is OK in my book brother!

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Ultimately a very expensive salmon.  More than usual I mean. ;)
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I figure most of us have at least one such learning story... Awesome that your story involves a retained fish! Echoing Stinger, unforgettable :)

Thanks for sharing. FWIW, my learning stories (yep, plural) involve more gear and fewer retained fish.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 08:04:19 PM by bogueYaker »

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Use search function and look up The Huli Club....plenty of stories to learn from.

Glad you were able to get help and still hang onto the fish..

Time to take a sled back to the,area and magnet fish for your gear  . Just don't keep any submerged cars if you drag one up   :tongue3: 
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
No shame at all, great story! Those are the moments when we learn the most in life and the ones we remember the most! When everything works it's just another fish!

anything