Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Pause for MA10 Winter Chinook  (Read 1842 times)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2797

Bit of a drag given the forecast for this weekend.

An aside: I'd rather encounters be allocated to the summer when we're fishing for biggies instead of being split between winter fishing when we're going after salmon-trout. Not sure that's how any of this works, though.

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I agree, that is a bummer and I also agree that I would rather save allocated king encounters for when real king sizes are around rather than split them during winter when there's so many sublegal or barely legal sized fish. On that same logic, I would rather not see that much pressure on trout size resident coho till they get more decent sizes but there you go.

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Perhaps stating the obvious, but the emergency closure applies to all salmon, not just chinook.

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
i'm curious if winter/summer encounters are combined into one pool. i'd thought they were separate, but maybe not?

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
i'm curious if winter/summer encounters are combined into one pool. i'd thought they were separate, but maybe not?

Fishery impacts are essentially modeled by time and area from coded-wire tag data. You cannot really shift impacts from Winter to Summer because individual stock impacts (ultimately what everything is being managed by, mostly the ESA variety) are present at different times/areas making Winter and Summer apples to oranges.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019

Fishery impacts are essentially modeled by time and area from coded-wire tag data. You cannot really shift impacts from Winter to Summer because individual stock impacts (ultimately what everything is being managed by, mostly the ESA variety) are present at different times/areas making Winter and Summer apples to oranges.

Ah, thanks for your insight here.

Sorry, didn't mean to stir the pot with misinformation!

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

Ah, thanks for your insight here.

Sorry, didn't mean to stir the pot with misinformation!

Salmon fishery management in this state is extremely complicated out of necessity. Agreements, modeling, estimation of impacts, etc... are all designed to squeak out and/or account for all impacts in the environment of state/tribal sharing and the endangered species act.

It's just a huge system involving hundreds of specialized staff so the vast majority of people have no idea how it works, or have really simple ideas on how it works.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:45:04 PM by workhard »