Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: New to the board and Kayak fishing.  (Read 1818 times)

• Date Registered: Jan 2022
Hello NWKA members.

I have been looking into kayaks for fishing.
My neighbor is wanting to get me out... I have been through a lot over the last few years and miss fishing.
I recently sold my dream offshore boat. It was a hard day.

Anyway, I am not getting any younger and would love to be able to get out and find my passion again.

I have tried a few kayaks and am leaning pretty hard towards the Lynx.
It would be a stretch but cry once, right?

I appreciate everyone sharing information here and hope to be able to contribute myself in time.

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Hello and welcome to the board. Sorry to hear about the boat, but kayaks can be a lot of fun. I got rid of my drift boat for one.

Picking one out depends a lot on how you plan to transport it and what types of water you plan to fish. What do you want to do with yours?

Motorized kayaks are also becoming a lot more common, but they usually need a trailer or pickup truck to transport (are heavy).

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Welcome! 
Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do!

I have a small 4*4 van and a pickup.
I plan to do day trips fishing rivers, lakes and ponds but have always wanted to surf launch and fish offshore.
From what I have seen the lynx is very capable and is light and easy to load, launch and retrieve.
I'm not as young as I once was and I know if I keep it simple and easy I will use it more.
It has been a long time since I have been able to get away and I sure need some quality time.
I'm pretty excited about the prospect of getting back to my roots.
Walleye is in my short bucket list.
So is flounder.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:40:44 AM by Mr. Fisherman »

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
I don't have any experience with the Hobie Lynx, but there's a ton of great content on youtube.

This guy posts some pretty good rundowns, understanding he's a guide (is out multiple times a week and likes to haul a lot of gear):

Here's another one I thought was helpful:

Have you had the chance to try a Hobie mirage drive system? Some people find the stair-stepping mechanism unconformable. But the same can be said for the bicycle-style drive systems.

Otherwise, keeping things light is a great idea if you're going to be car topping or launching/retrieving unassisted. A good kayak kart is also a great investment.

If you're not yet sure you want to fully commit, and can paddle, you may want to consider trying an entry-level kayak. E.g., a Lifetime Tamarack Pro can be had for $350-400 and should be plenty good for most casual in-shore activities. I just wouldn't take it off-shore or plan to troll for multiple miles with it (peddle > paddle for that).

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:22:50 PM by LawyerBob »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Pedaling does not beat paddling for anything except flat-out speed, but we go out there to have fun, not run races.  Just saying...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I have done all of my kayak fishing with paddle kayaks, not pedaling kayaks nor angling specific kayaks, so my views may be a bit one-sided!. At least in my experience and for the kind of fishing I do (lakes, estuaries and Puget Sound fly fishing and conventional gear jigging, casting, mooching, etc) the only times I felt pedaling kayaks have a clear advantage is when trolling deep and fast (using either downriggers or planners). I have effectively trolled deep and slow for sockeye salmon with planners, however faster speeds such as for coho and kings are a pain on a paddling kayak if using planners/downriggers. You can still paddle/mooch effectively varying speed and depth. Anyways, trolling is my least favorite way of kayak fishing so that may account for me sticking with the paddling rigs I have. I have friends and fishing buddies that do real well with pedaling kayaks and use them in ways that maximize the hands free nature of them, I just like the simplicity and lighter nature of paddling. Good to try different techniques and rigs and see what works for you given where you fish, what you fish for and what you can get away with budget wise.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:10:38 AM by skayaker2 »

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
I'd agree with skayaker2's experience, having paddled a Tarpon 120 for the last decade and just gotten a peddle kayak.

Trolling for salmon (8-10oz weight, flasher/dodger, etc) on a river for 5+ miles via paddle is a lot more work than peddling. It also takes far more work to constantly go 3mph even with a carbon fiber paddle and 12' ride. My Old Town Salty 120 PDL goes 3.5mph with barely any effort. Rudders are also great to offset whatever you're dragging, without having to constantly alter your paddle stroke to favor the opposite side.

Getting caught in a head-wind can also be a lot more iffy on a paddle kayak, if your top speed is a 3.5 mph sprint. Add a current and it can become a complete PITA, if not impossible, to get places by paddle. But most peddle kayaks can power through similar situations.

I purchased my peddle kayak for ocean fishing, crabbing, trolling rivers and fishing large lakes. If you don't plan to do any of that, and you are in reasonably good shape, a paddle kayak is a great option. I've kept mine around for smaller bodies of water and lazy rivers.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Peddle kayak will absolutely catch more fish than a paddle kayak jigging for Chinook. Hell, it'll catch more fish than boats jigging if used correctly. Not even close, best craft on the water for that type of fishing.

I appreciate all the feedback.
I have an old shoulder injury and bad knees so I think a pedal kayak gives me the most flexibility.

I would like to crab too.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I have fished out of Hobie Outback’s for years and recently added a Hobie Lynx to the lineup.  I have only had it out a couple times, but I think it is going to be really fun to fish out of.  I have ordered the H-rail kit to give additional mounting options and to help contain things on the top of the kayak.  Being flat on top, things can slide off really easy.

One of the reasons I got the Lynx was it’s light weight.  It is real easy to carry or load by myself.  I fish a lot of lakes.  Right now with the low water, I can get the kayak to the water and back up the bank easily.

What part of the state do you live?  I’m in Central Oregon and would be happy to let you try my Lynx if you are in the area.  Having bad knees, I would suggest trying both styles of pedal kayak, the bicycle style and the stair stepper like the Hobie.  Likely one will agree with your knees better than the other.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 06:58:00 AM by Nobaddays »
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Thanks for the offer Nobaddays...

I'm in Hillsboro.

I have been on a lynx twice and tried a Compass and a PA12 360.

I am surprised how well the Lynx handles. It really is surprisingly light and far more stable than the old Coleman canoe I used to have.
I have friends down in your neck of the woods.

The H  rails are on the short list but I don't have much hope of finding them in stock any time soon.

Any advice on how you have yours rigged and what has worked for you? Which color did you wind up with?

I'm thinking about getting a stand up paddle when I get it. I think I will try one first though.

Thanks for the replies.

I have watched about every video on the Lynx. There is a lot to like about it and there should be for the price.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
The H  rails are on the short list but I don't have much hope of finding them in stock any time soon.

Any advice on how you have yours rigged and what has worked for you? Which color did you wind up with?

I'm thinking about getting a stand up paddle when I get it. I think I will try one first though.
I got the dune colored Lynx.

My H rails are on order also.  We will see when they come in.  So far I have only mounted the rod holder and fish finder on the factory gear tracks.  I have a crate on the back for gear.  The crate also has vertical rod holders for storage of spare rods when not in use.  I slide a tray under my seat for misc tackle as I swap it out to keep it contained.

One of my reasons for getting the Lynx is the possibility of standing while fly fishing.  I actually had the same thought about the SUP paddle while standing.  I’ll have to try that first.

Hope to see you on the water
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Welcome to the board! Love my Revo, the Ms. Salma. Nothing like a pedal kayak although I do own a couple of Mini-X's, a Cobra Explorer... It just gets worse (or better)!

Fred "True" Trujillo

"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Thanks again for the warm welcome and replies.

Headed back out Thursday to look at and try more models.

I tried the old version Compass, but I could hardly breathe while pedaling it and wound up paddling it back. I was pretty bummed as I was sure it was going to come down to the Compass or the Lynx and the Compass is cheaper.

That said, the Lynx is really growing on me and it is very comfortable on the water.