Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie rudder line / cable replacement  (Read 1586 times)

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Hey Crew:

The rudder line on my 2017 Revolution has become very frayed. I want to fix this issue, before it becomes a bigger issue on the water.

I have browsed around the forum but cannot find any topics on this issue. I have browsed on YouTube but there are not many videos that address this issue. I have also browsed around spare part replacements on the Hobie website but cannot find the replacement lines.

Has anyone dealt with this issue? Did you replacement them yourself? Or have an authorized Hobie dealer do the replacement?

Maybe I can splice the line from somewhere?

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
There is a similar recent thread about this on NCKA.

This happened to me last summer, but the mechanism of failure was entirely my fault. I'm pretty sure I braided three pieces of 40lb test and then spliced that onto the longer bit of control line. A crap fix for sure, should probably re-do it before it costs me a fishing trip.

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I work at a dealer in Seattle and repair these pretty often.  You need to search the Hobie website in the "Parts & Accessories Search" part for "control".  If you want to call me at the store on Thu or Fri (I'm off Tue/Wed) I can talk you through the various options.

Kevin
Outdoor Emporium
206-624-6550

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Get some 30-40 lbs braided line and put 6-7 half hitches over the old line with it if you need to pull the line, that way you can use the thin braid to pull the new line back through… just did similar on a native propels rudder upgrade. Worked pretty slick.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
pmmpete (sp?) had a thread on this a few years ago. Basically you need to buy the control line (or similar), then you just tie it on to the line your replacing and pull it through to the other end (like pulling wire through conduit, if you're familiar with that).

I think some people use heavy duty kite line? (The kind they use for kiteboarding.) Don't quote me on that, I may have made that up.  ;D

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I replaced mine in Feb after the up/down line broke out of Depoe.
I used this kit I got from Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CG85ZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The repair seems more intimidating than it is.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Lutefisk, I just replaced my Addy Island rudder lines a few weeks ago with 1000 lb Spectra from SouthWindKayaks.com.

I forgot to look into ordering the smaller 700 lb Spectra for my two Revos.  I don't see the 700 lb available on there site right now. 

Just be on the search for Gray 700 lb Spectra or even Dyneema by the foot.  Waaaayyyy cheaper than buying the kits from Hobie.  Also, need to figure out how your line got so frayed. My Revos are both 2010 models and only one of them shows even the slightest sign of wear.

If you get your hands on some, I can help you swap out your line. It's a bit finicky, but easy enough to do. 

I am out in Forest Grove OR, but know Washougal well enough to wander out that way. I graduated WHS in '90 and still visit friends out there on occasion.

-Craig

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Looks like you can get it by the foot from West Coast Sailing in PDX. I'll be ordering some myself.

https://westcoastsailing.net/hobie-kayak-control-line-gray/

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Cackalacky

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Just seeing this. I had the same problem but didn't notice it until it broke. It's an easy fix. To throw out another option I happened to have some 3/16 (1.75mm) spectra (or Dynema or UHMWPE or CubinFiber... I wish they'd settle on a name) that I use for tarp lines hammock camping. If you can't find it at west coast sailing that is an option. $5 for 15 feet which is more than you'll need for one line. They sell spools too and the stuff is pretty useful. It's 400 lbs breaking strength so a bit lighter, but I'd think it would be plenty strong. Here is a link:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/precut-guyline/

Fish N' Chips

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
I just ordered some 1.75mm line as well. My Adventure has some fraying but not to the point of replacement yet.  I figured I will set up a repair kit to have ready when it needs it.  I have some 500 lb bank line that I bet would work in a pinch for an in camp repair, but the 1.75 was pretty cheap.  I ordered mine online but West Marine carries it.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Took my Revo apart and figured out how to do it today. So, I went ahead and replaced my up/down lines in the process. Steering lines are still good.

Tanner's Revo needs the steering lines replaced, so we'll do those tomorrow after I help Lutefisk with his up/down lines.

anything