Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:47:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Issue w/ touchscreen fishfinder  (Read 1538 times)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
On my last trip my FF started shocking me. At first I wrote it off to fingers made sensitive by rockfish spines, but eventually realized that no, this unpleasant tingling sensation only occurs when I'm touching my FF.  Has anyone had this happen before? I'm wondering if it indicates that a seal is compromised and that my FF is on it's last leg.

My boat was pretty wet. I had the occasional wave coming over the bow and over the sides, and my hull absolutely had some water in it. Also, my FF is mounted in a slightly unconventional manner (see attached), and my SLA & the battery connections are pretty exposed in my hull. Maybe I was catching voltage that was passing outside the battery wiring and onto the FF?

Any ideas for troubleshooting? I'd like to ascertain whether or not the FF will be reliable in the near future.

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
This is a lil off subject, but here goes:
My Lowrance isn't touch screen, but I was hating trying to see the sonar and sidescan through a wet screen, especially saltwater. I bought a BerleyPro cover for it.
It doesn't help with sun glare nearly as much as you'd think, but helps immensely keeping the screen dry. May or may not help with your problem.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
This is a lil off subject, but here goes:
My Lowrance isn't touch screen, but I was hating trying to see the sonar and sidescan through a wet screen, especially saltwater. I bought a BerleyPro cover for it.
It doesn't help with sun glare nearly as much as you'd think, but helps immensely keeping the screen dry. May or may not help with your problem.

Hey, thank you for the suggestion! They way mine is currently mounted, that visor would impede the movement of my legs. As long as I process fish off to my side, it doesn't really get that wet, and my legs generally provide ample protection from sun glare. That said, I am thinking about adding some sort of bag or transparent cover to further protect it from incidental rain and spray.

SD2OR

• Salmon
How I'm usually setup.
Didn't realize how great rails were till I got some!
I couldn't deal having my finder there.
For my older Outback, I have my finder mounted on a short pole, which I insert into the sailing mast receptacle, front and center.

but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
Nice setup, love that deck space! The revo can get claustrophobic if I don't pay attention to minimizing gear. Which is fine, because I've never run into a situation where I was fishing an area that required more gear than I can comfortably hold. I decided to put the FF on the center hatch b/c the sides were getting a bit cramped... W/ the downrigger attached, I'm not going to be able to re-enter from the starboard side, so there's an argument for just sticking the FF on the starboard side.

Anyways, having thought more about the electricity issue, I guess I see two potential sources:
(1) Current is coming from where my power plug connects to my FF. This area has some dielectric grease, so maybe if this area gets wet, current can find its way to the touchscreen area if that too is wet.
(2) The FF seal is shot

Not sure of how to test hypothesis 2, so I'll tackle hypothesis 1 by connecting the battery & spraying the plug area down with water.... If I get shocked when I touch the wet area, that'll make me hopeful that hypothesis 1 explains the issue.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 02:00:08 PM by bogueYaker »

SD2OR

• Salmon
I have yet to deal with any such issues, apologize I can't be of more assistance on that one.
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
The dielectric grease isn't conductive, that's not where the 'lectrickery is escaping.
Sounds like an internal issue to be leaking voltage like that.
You do have a fuse between the battery and your FF, yes?
Is it anyplace on the FF you touch, you get shocked?
Everything was soaked?
Most puzzling

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
I have yet to deal with any such issues, apologize I can't be of more assistance on that one.

Hey, thank you for sharing your suggestion!

The dielectric grease isn't conductive, that's not where the 'lectrickery is escaping.
Sounds like an internal issue to be leaking voltage like that.
You do have a fuse between the battery and your FF, yes?
Is it anyplace on the FF you touch, you get shocked?
Everything was soaked?
Most puzzling

Yes to the fuse, using the one that came w/ the FF. Pretty much everywhere I touched resulted in a shock, but I was probably only touching the screen or the buttons. The boat, FF, and I were decently wet -- wind chop sending occasional waves over the bow & sides, and the occasional drizzle. Hull was pretty wet too, maybe 24 fl.oz. was sloshing around. My battery -- and the FF connections, were likely wet.

I checked the card slot for signs of water intrusion -- looks fine (no indication of water or rust).

Appreciate your insight on the dielectric grease. Wasn't able to replicate the shocks when I sprayed the backside with water - doesn't prove that it's an internal issue, but does support that notion. Will noodle on how to keep this thing dryer.... And maybe look into the warranty.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 08:34:49 AM by bogueYaker »

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have an older Hook5, went back to Lowrance to be repaired after submarine trials at PC.
Got it back and within 6 months all I could get was a white screen.
Took it apart and I was dismayed at the ability for water to get inside.
I've come to the conclusion fish finders are a consumable, just like a lot of the gear we use.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
I've come to the conclusion fish finders are a consumable, just like a lot of the gear we use.

Seems like the best way to look at them.... less disappointment when the spendy things crap out after two years, pleasant surprise if they last a good while.

anything