Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Time to pull the drysuit trigger...  (Read 2527 times)

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
A couple observations.
On the 23rd I ordered a SuperNova Angler.
I expected it to show up sometime this week.
It was delivered on Sunday the 26th.

On the right is a 9 year old Hydrus 3.
The new one on the left does not have any reinforcing on the thighs or seat.
This may or may not be an issue, however the inside of the old suit tells a tale that cannot be denied.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
is the new suit a goretex one? Looking at the descriptions the Hydrus suit has the "cordura" reinforcements and the goretex one just has "sewn on reinforcement patches"

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
Gortex Pro
From their web site
"The Kokatat Supernova Angler is a front entry fishing specific paddling suit built with rugged and breathable GORE-TEX PRO fabric. The single layer of rugged fabric is lighter and dries faster than sewn-on reinforcement patches and provides protection and reduces potential hook snares while dealing with fish and gear."

My days of dropping rockfish in my lap or throwing a leg over a fish flopping are coming to an end.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I'm definitely going to need the reinforced angler legs for hooks and fish spines... #HumbleBrag

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Perhaps you're being a bit too prissy about a little pee?   :D

I never understood why the relief zipper is that far up, either.  We aren't all John Holmes...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
Perhaps you're being a bit too prissy about a little pee?   :D

I never understood why the relief zipper is that far up, either.  We aren't all John Holmes...

Perhaps the designers thought fishermen might be excited being out on the water :o

Cackalacky

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020

Perhaps the designers thought fishermen might be excited being out on the water :o

My solution in the absences of ...err excitement is a ~2ft section of PVC. If the ole "depth sounder" isn't long enough to flop over the side the PVC functions as an extender letting the pee fly without having to kneel or lay on your side too much. Also preserves a bit of modesty if the whale/head boats are nearby. 

Related to this thread has anyone else had their dry suit stocking feet develop weeping spots? The bottom of my right foot weeps from toe to heel now. I think I need to be more careful removing the sand/grit in my shoes before starting to pedal. Or what are people using for shoes? I have been using crocs because they're light and dry fast. But it's hard on those stocking feet. 

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
For the evacuating of the bladder, while I have no problem kneeling or standing on flat water, thats not happening in the ocean. A long-narrow funnel (automotive suppply shop) is really useful.  Just put the end in the drivewell and pee away.  Whats great is you can dip the funnel and use it to wash out the boat too.

bowen1911

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2021
I do like having a wetsuit for draining the main vein.  Just go and be warm for a bit  :laugh:

Unfortunately it limits the weather I can comfortably go out in.

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
I do like having a wetsuit for draining the main vein.  Just go and be warm for a bit  :laugh:

Unfortunately it limits the weather I can comfortably go out in.

That would take some time to wash off. Definitely don't want my suit to smell like piss :-) Sure would be convenient. I guess another option is to implant a catheter before heading out and just let it dangle to the side. LOL
2021 Hobie Outback

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
An aside, but I wish that my relief zipper was situated more down between the legs, kinda like zippers on conventional pants... would be a lot easier to take a whiz on the water if it were down there.

As it is now I have to do some serious finagling to avoid pissing all over myself while on the water.

People who catch halibut on their first drop don't really need to worry about having to pee on the water.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
An aside, but I wish that my relief zipper was situated more down between the legs, kinda like zippers on conventional pants... would be a lot easier to take a whiz on the water if it were down there.

As it is now I have to do some serious finagling to avoid pissing all over myself while on the water.

People who catch halibut on their first drop don't really need to worry about having to pee on the water.

It sure isn't a concern when you park me right on top of the fish! All the other times, sounds like there's PVC/funnel options.

Related to this thread has anyone else had their dry suit stocking feet develop weeping spots...

The dude at Kayak Academy indicated that the feet were the most likely place for holes to develop. Maybe neoprene booties would be better at keeping sand & grit out? That's what I use and haven't had any issues. But, I think you're using your suit a lot more than I'm using mine.

anything