Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:02:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Nearshore halibut + general marine bag  (Read 1322 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
The 2023 halibut regs have been adopted, PDF attached for reference, and there is a change of interest- during all depth halibut days (initially 7 days per week, May 1 to June 30) and while bottom fishing is not depth limited (currently no depth restrictions expected in 2023), the normal marine bag (2 lingcod + 5 rockfish, etc.) can be combined with a pacific halibut bag (1 per day, ODFW has the option to raise this to 2 as early as June this year) and other flatfish species can also be retained.   

This seems like a change worth consideration, being able to put some lingcod/rockfish on the kayak and try to find a halibut makes finding the halibut a big bonus, not the entire purpose of the outing. It also reduces the desire for a big halibut, adding even a 20# butt to the normal marine bag seems like a win.

So a key to this is identifying nearshore areas that are likely to have halibut, I'm thinking within 4 or 5 miles of shore, hopefully passing over or near some normal ling/rockfish habit. The only hint of this that I have come across seems to be off the Newport Lighthouse but not many details. I'm hoping to locate some people that have gone on nearshore halibut charters that can identify areas.

Interested in thoughts from others in our NWKA community, especially if they have caught nearshore halibut.  ;D

cheers, roger         

« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 08:29:32 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

bowen1911

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2021
I was told that there is a good gravel bottom section known to hold halibut in 180 ft of water directly out from the line of the cape Kiwanda inn and the hole in the rock. It was somewhere back in the Ifish dory thread. Also apparently a good area to pick up Petral sole while looking for halibut.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I have a friend who caught several halibut last year from his jet ski. Said he was straight off of the inn at Spanish head in 150 +/- of water. He also did good on Ling in the same general area. I am hoping to find a good day off of Fogarty to head that way this summer. it will be a pretty long hump. I think I have identified the area on my charts. I know he said it is the saddle between 2 humps. I wish there was a good place to launch up that way.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
A halibut from the kayak is on my bucket list!

I know there are some people that get them out of PC. CPT RB has a great video with a sad ending of a big ole flatty that he hooked while bottom fishing out of PC.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
I've build a harpoon after seeing both of my friends hook into a halibut and not being able to land it. One broke off after tangling line in my pedal drive and other one gave quite a ride to my friend in his kayak. He had to cut the line after playing with it for more than 20min. By the way, both were hooked right around the rock on the west/northwest side. It's my goal this summer to find and land my first halibut.
2021 Hobie Outback

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Good luck getting specific recommendations for spots, although the ones mentioned above are common entry points from what I've seen. Halibut spots are not likely to be shared and even less likely if they're nearshore. That said, you might get some pointers on general things to look for - substrate, etc.

I have hooked a few at Pacific City, including the heart breaker mentioned above, but never when I've been targeting them. It's always been when targeting lingcod. So, I'm not really much help.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Oh yeah, and two very enthusiastic thumbs up for the rules change!! This really does open up some possibilities for the human-powered crowd. Very cool!

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
We somehow caught 2 back in 2020 on the same day. Same week that Capt Redbeard put his vid up. Mine was in 108 fow on a Lancer and was pretty small. 28" I think. Hoku hooked his much shallower on a Gulp curly tail. His was just over 50#. Both were caught while fishing for lings in areas that were near a reef. Mine hit as soon as my jig fell off the reef and his was in a ditch between reefs and rocks. I think the Halibut just hang out where the bait is easy to find just like other predators.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
right on, great info and stories.  might have a line on some nearshore halibut coordinates our of Winchester Bay from a neighbor, fingers crossed.

Interesting coincidence, Gulp curly tail (pink/white) is what I got my big CaliButt on CoosBay a few years ago (the one that weighed more than my i11s.  ;D ). 

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
This is a very exciting development indeed. Getting a halibut from my kayak is definitely on my bucket list.

Along the discussion of habitat and substrate - the college of oceanic and atmospheric sciences (COAS) at Oregon State published high resolution maps of near shore habitat a while back, with substrate defined (rock outcrop, coarse sand, med. sand, fine sand, cobble, mixed gravel, etc.) along with depth contours. I was looking online and it looks like the link is broken (otherwise I would post it). If you wanted to try to hunt it down the correct nerd speak would be "Surficial Geologic Habitat" maps. Here is the official citation if anyone wants to find these maps for the areas they fish:

Erhardt, M., Romsos, C., Goldfinger, C., Hairston-Porter, R., Kane, T., Lockett D., 2011, Habitat Classification, Shipek Grab Sample, Bathymetry, and Backscatter Maps, Depoe Bay, Oregon, Oregon State University Active Tectonics and Seafloor Mapping
Laboratory Publication 2011-01, 4 maps sheets, scale 1 : 24,000, Oregon State University and Oregon Department of State Lands.

I am happy to share the Depoe Bay and Newport maps (I grabbed those a while back) - if you want them please PM me.

--Steve

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
This is a very exciting development indeed. Getting a halibut from my kayak is definitely on my bucket list.

Along the discussion of habitat and substrate - the college of oceanic and atmospheric sciences (COAS) at Oregon State published high resolution maps of near shore habitat a while back, with substrate defined (rock outcrop, coarse sand, med. sand, fine sand, cobble, mixed gravel, etc.) along with depth contours. I was looking online and it looks like the link is broken (otherwise I would post it). If you wanted to try to hunt it down the correct nerd speak would be "Surficial Geologic Habitat" maps. Here is the official citation if anyone wants to find these maps for the areas they fish:

Erhardt, M., Romsos, C., Goldfinger, C., Hairston-Porter, R., Kane, T., Lockett D., 2011, Habitat Classification, Shipek Grab Sample, Bathymetry, and Backscatter Maps, Depoe Bay, Oregon, Oregon State University Active Tectonics and Seafloor Mapping
Laboratory Publication 2011-01, 4 maps sheets, scale 1 : 24,000, Oregon State University and Oregon Department of State Lands.

I am happy to share the Depoe Bay and Newport maps (I grabbed those a while back) - if you want them please PM me.

--Steve

that is great info, I found them here, scroll down to the Halibut Classification maps and hit 'Download full-text' to get the PDF.  It diverts you to a 'Join for Free' page but you can just ignore that, the download happens.

https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/M-Erhardt-2025757505

and this is interesting- Coastal Habitat Mapping Report:

https://www.oregonshorezone.info/docs/Oregon_Summary_Report_14July14_final.pdf
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 09:05:03 AM by rogerdodger »

anything