Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:07:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Week-old nothing report  (Read 1457 times)

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Windy here today. No yak fishin' for me!

Last Sunday I managed to get my stuff all loaded and carted down to the Jetty by late afternoon. I launched at about 6:30 pm in the corner of Half Moon Bay from Westhaven State Park. Conditions were balmy, sea-surface temp at 56 F and light WSW winds. Tide was coming in with the high at around 8:35pm.

I flipped my depth sounder on and paddled out about 20' to 30' away from the jetty, looking for schools of black rockfish or whatever. Saw a few blips on the way out and worked a jig thru one with a missed strike, but I kept going to the deeper water.
It drops off to the 35' -45' range and then the fishing potential improves.

I quickly hung up the metal-flake motor oil worm/jighead that I was casting toward the jetty with my spin outfit, and broke off the entire leader. Dang! Not feeling like splicing some more mono onto the end of the braid at that moment, I put that rod away and started drifting and vertical jigging with my Ugly Stick/cheap Okuma level-wind and a big jig-and purple worm with a UV skirt.

With the wind and the tide gently moving in the same direction, it was easy to drift along and jig off the bottom straight up and down.

To make an uneventful story short, I lost a couple of good fish because my drag was set too loose, missed some good strikes, caught two small black rockfish, keeping one. Never even broke out the camera. I got hung up on the bottom several times, and lost a few good jigs.

I returned to my launch spot at 8:30 and was just starting to unload/pack up my loose gear when I heard a voice:
"Are you just now heading out, or coming back in?"

This immediately struck me as kind of a stupid question, and I didn't immediately look up to see who was asking, but when idid, I saw a young guy in the company of two hot babes.

"Uhhhh," I replied, "The tide just got high, and it will be getting dark soon, so I'm pretty sure that I must be done already."

"Man, you sure do have a lot of stuff along for kayak fishing!" He pointed out. I noticed that he was carrying a spinning rod, but no other visible gear. Probably had a few jigs in his pocket.

Myself, I had two rods rigged up, and a small soft cooler packed with some tackle, drinks, and snacks, sitting inside my orange crate, and my anchor system. I had my portable sonar. I was wearing a full wetsuit and my fishing pfd.

"Yeah, well most of this stuff is just emergency crap that I hope I'll never have to use. I'm not an idiot! I believe in self-rescue, and I could pass any Coast Guard inspection with flying colors. And I need to know how deep I'm fishing and see the bottom."
I looked at their footwear. Hot babes wearing Ugg Boots. Dude in running shoes.
"You'll need more ankle support than you're wearing if you want to hike out very far on the jetty!" I critiqued. (Back at ya!).

"We're not going far." Dude said.

"Good Luck!" I offered as I oogled the hot babes walking off into the sunset, looking might fine in their Ugg Boots.

He had two babes for company. I had only one small rockfish. :'(
ConeHeadMuddler