Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 11:13:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:07:15 PM]

[Today at 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Dinner tonight  (Read 3023 times)

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
What do you guys think - partially pre-cook the bacon or not?

Albacore Bacon Wrapped Medallions

Ingredients:
(4) 8 oz. Albacore Loin steaks (boneless, skinless, steaks cross cut from the loin.) approx. 1-1.5 inches thick.
•   1# bacon Strips
•   ¼ stick butter
•   ½cup soy sauce
•   ½cup sake (Japanese Rice Wine)
•   2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
•   1 Tbsp. Fresh Peeled and grated Ginger
•   1 Tsp. Minced Garlic.
•   2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar.
•   A dash of fresh ground pepper.
Cooking Directions:

After rinsing your steaks, pat dry with a paper towel. Carefully wrap 1-2 strips of bacon around the medallions somewhat tightly, secure with toothpicks. Place Medallions into a glass dish set aside.

Mix all other ingredients into a Pyrex measuring cup, and microwave for 1 minute. Let stand 1 minute. Pour ½ the mixture atop the medallions and let marinate 15 minutes.

Lightly oil your hot clean grill. Barbecue the steaks approx. 6 minutes, and flip. Drizzle remainder of reserved marinade over the steaks after flipped, Let cook 4 minutes additional, remove from heat and serve. Serve with steamed white rice and crunchy Steamed Broccoli. Pair with one of our Great Sauvignon Blancs from the Central Coast!
2012 ORC 5th Place

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Not if you are doing it on the bbq (depending on how hot it is). I would say you would want to sear them hot enough just so the bacon is done, but not too long as to overcook the fish. Just let the flare ups do most of the cooking, and tend them close!

Sounds yummy!
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'd skip the bacon,  its a pet pevy of mine, totally overused.  I'd tie the loins together with strips of green onion.   The cook time looks long to me too.   If you go the bacon route, cook them off 3/4 done uising the microwave (4 min should be fine)

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
I'd skip the bacon,  its a pet pevy of mine, totally overused.  I'd tie the loins together with strips of green onion.   The cook time looks long to me too.   If you go the bacon route, cook them off 3/4 done uising the microwave (4 min should be fine)

We usually use our electric griddle for bacon.  I like that better than the microwave in general.  Not only can I monitor the doneness better, the microwave seems to result in a poorer texture.

Assuming I do pre-cook the bacon I'd probably reduce the cooking time to about half what they suggest.  I have to remember that as much as I like it super-rare, if the wife and kids eat it at all they will want it more like medium (if not well done).
2012 ORC 5th Place

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Pelagic,

[sarcasm]I'm guessing that this menu is right up your alley.[/sarcasm]

http://guysamericankitchenandbar.com/

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Skip the bacon and wrap it in prosciutto.  Mmmmm!

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Kaptain King

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
I would definitely cook the bacon first. Cook it over a lower heat and then it won't curl on you. If you cook it a little before, it will crisp up nice and not be rubbery.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
That was FANTASTIC!

Pre cooking the bacon was definitely the right call.  I would have done that normally but figured asking was prudent.

Cut down a little on the sugar, maybe a bit more garlic, but otherwise stuck to the recipe.

Made sure I cooked several chunks long for SWMBO and the kids.  Kids loved th bacon, thought the tuna was OK. Wife liked it all.  That is a HUGE improvement over times I've tried to cook tuna for them.
2012 ORC 5th Place

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Dinner tonight was yams, steamed Swiss chard out of the garden and 2 dozen fresh spot prawns hauled at 5 pm, cleaned at 5:30 and thrown into the pot with a homemade tomato pasta sauce (my wife prepped this while I was out on the boat)  at 6 pm, all washed down with a couple of IPA. Did I mention I love living on the Island?
T2

anything