Forum > KayakFishingMagazine.net

[KFM] More sneak peeks of the new WS Offshore Kayak

(1/3) > >>

polepole:
KFM staff recently got to test drive the new 'Offshore' kayak from Wilderness Systems Fishing Kayaks. While we cannot tell all, we can tell enough to give you a better idea what this kayak is all about.

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/gear-guide/90-new-fishing-kayaks/1893-the-all-new-wilderness-systems-offshore-fishing-kayak.html

micahgee:
Call me a hater, but 30 inches seems pretty wide for an "offshore" kayak.

Captain Redbeard:
What are you comparing it to? Per the article: "The target is a bigger boat with more usable deck space that's capable of handling tougher conditions more comfortably" [than the Tarpon series]

There seems to be no consensus on the inshore/nearshore/offshore nomenclature. This looks like a nearshore kayak to me. I don't think this is meant to be a distance/touring kayak. A reasonably fast paddler with lots of stability for fishing.

Disclaimer: I did not read the entire article.  ;)

I'm intrigued! If they price these the same as the Tarpon I'll be interested to see how the market reacts.

micahgee:

--- Quote from: Captain Redbeard on February 03, 2014, 02:17:53 PM ---What are you comparing it to? Per the article: "The target is a bigger boat with more usable deck space that's capable of handling tougher conditions more comfortably" [than the Tarpon series]

There seems to be no consensus on the inshore/nearshore/offshore nomenclature. This looks like a nearshore kayak to me. I don't think this is meant to be a distance/touring kayak. A reasonably fast paddler with lots of stability for fishing.

Disclaimer: I did not read the entire article.  ;)

I'm intrigued! If they price these the same as the Tarpon I'll be interested to see how the market reacts.

--- End quote ---

It just seems that every new model of sit on top/fishing kayak on the market is wide and heavy, and meant for freshwater so when I read "offshore" was thinking something closer to a Scupper pro (25" wide). I understand that everyone is not looking for a super skinny boat but there are so few options on the market these days for a light and efficient sit on top.

I am interested to see the Jackson Kayak new "offshore" kayak

Yaktrap:
Yes to all of the above comments!

I don't get the industry logic of making an "offshore" kayak that is 30" wide and stable so that inexperienced kayak fisherman feel stable and comfortable. Unless it's thermoform plastic or glass it weighs 90 to 100 pounds.

We all started in wide stable boats, we don't need more of the same. What about the experienced kayak fisherman that wants to travel 15+ miles per day in open ocean conditions chasing down fish.  We exist in significant numbers and are growing. Who's making an efficient boat for us?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version