Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:05:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: HOW PDX - Volunteers Needed - 4/29 - **moved to Swan Island**- 7:30am - S5.E2  (Read 5858 times)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
After much arm twisting from Islandson....I will be there too :)

What should I bring for stinky bait.  I've been sturgeon fishing before but not here.  Pickled squid?  Rollmop Haring?

Herring seems to be the flavor of choice for most fishing this specific area, with squid working very well too. I typically pick up a tray of herring and when the tray is done so am I  :) I haven't tried rollmop in this stretch, but I bet it would work okay as well.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

NeverTooOld

• Herring
  • Practice makes real.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
HEADS UP!

I haven't been out there in a while (due to major surgery) but last fall there were naval vessels in dry dock and the security guys were pretty strict about keeping us out of certain areas and not legging over on the booms, assuming you don't go into the main channel of the Willamette, of course. The dock yard workers actually enjoy watching us get dragged around but the security guys can sometimes be ungracious. With that many yaks on the water you're bound to attract attention.  (Wish I could join you but still on medical restrictions for a couple more weeks).

Happy sledding!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:44:36 PM by NeverTooOld »
Practice makes real!

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
So for those of us who have guided before, and yeah that's our primary function, but who haven't gone for sturgeon before, what's the setup to bring ?

Heavy boat/bottom fishing rod ? Or is a salmon trolling rod heavy enough ?

50# braid mainline, slider with 2 oz cannonball to a swivel and a 2' leader with an 8/0 circle barbless and a herring rig on 65# dacron ?

Am I in the right neighborhood in the gear ?

That'll work. I'd bring some 4oz if you have them too. Don't bring a salmon rod you'd be upset breaking, I had one snap on an oversize there. Bottom fishing rod will work too, just not as sensitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That would actually make a decent fish story !

OK, I'll bring a veritable grapeshot canister of 2's, 3's, 4's and 6's

Picked up a tray of green label herring, tied half a dozen 8/0 barbless circle hooks on dacron, I'm ready to go.

I have heared (you heard that right) that the thing to do is cut them in halfs-ies and fish them that way. I should live so long as to run out of bait.

So, 7:30, unloaded, suited up, ready to launch ? Exactly where, other than the boat ramp ? What am I looking for and what magic words do I say ?

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Bring your anchors! Bring your charged VHFs!  Pyramid weights work better than cannonballs, they don't roll around.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Sturgeon General

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Does the parking pass you get from odfw cover ?
Free parking

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
Does the parking pass you get from odfw cover ?
Free parking

We were headed out to Sauvie Island before it was closed to all angling. So now we are going to Swan Island boat ramp and indeed the parking is free.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
That was a blast! I believe everyone hooked up with a big one at least once!  The food was delicious as well.  All in all, an awesome event.

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
That was a blast! I believe everyone hooked up with a big one at least once!  The food was delicious as well.  All in all, an awesome event.

Agreed - was a great day for another awesome HOW Portland Sturgeon event!  So many smiles and the excitement of a sturgeon sleigh ride is tough to beat.

Much thanks to Anthony and Dennis for organizing, Dino and gang for their support, and Scott for the wonderful food!

-Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
Thanks to all of you that gave up a springer fishing day to come and help out. Without all you awesome volunteers these events wouldn't be possible.

Thanks to Dino and the NWest chapter members that came down from the Evergreen state to help make the day such a success.

All of the Veterans came off of the water pretty stoked and our founder Jim and his wife seemed to be pretty impressed by the way we work together to pay tribute to our local Veteran community.

Thanks to Scott and Karen for providing a scrumptious lunch. They worked really hard to make a unique and memorable dining experience in the middle of the Superfund site.

Next up S5.E3 - Bonneville Bass Bonanza IV - June 3rd.

Anthony

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Awesome event once again Anthony and all who put it on and attended.

The vet I was fishing with had a great time and was a bit spoiled when he had an oversized on within 2 minutes of the first cast! We had to wait a bit longer for the next one, but he still managed to hook and "land" 4 or 5 over the course of the day. Much fun was had by all from what I could see. At one point 4 of us were hooked up within 50ft of each other, lines were crossed, and bumper boat kayaks was played, but everyone managed to touch the nose of their respective fish and send them swimming again. Awesome stories and smiles all around.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Short video from Saturday's event...

-Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett