Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:10:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Mirage Board on the water...  (Read 4219 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
excellent maiden voyage, this thing is fast...not enough wind to try it with the WindPaddle sail.  After a few adjustments, I will be testing it in near-ocean water, then perhaps some fishing, and I'm looking into trying some Flow90 (Eclipse) fins...cheers, roger

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:14:20 PM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Had to be moving, fun watching you lean into the turn.  Very impressive, that thing should scoot with a butt on the end of a line, lol. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:14:45 AM by Trident 13 »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Very cool Roger! 

I saw that splashy splash at the rear of the drive pocket as well, and wondered if you had issue with it. 
Sounds like you have some small tweaks here and there, but otherwise I would say SUCCESS! 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
That is amazing.  Very nice work, and so fast!
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Nice!  Heck of a test ride, Roger - and the list of things yet to do is mighty short.  Impressive job.

I thought it might be tricker to board the "Bullet" then it turned out.  Any feeling about how she might feel running parallel to the swell?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I thought it might be tricker to board the "Bullet" then it turned out.  Any feeling about how she might feel running parallel to the swell?

the first trip out in May, paddling it, I had the Vantage seat in the high position, how I use it on the i11s for everywhere except the ocean, and I leaned over to test the secondary stability and as the edge of the board (it is 30" wide, the i11s is 39" wide) just sank into the water, the board shot out from under me and it flipped.  all data is good data right?  much less secondary stability and sitting on a SUP is much different than standing on one (standing your high CG is loosely coupled with the board through your legs, very different dynamics...)...

yesterday I had the seat in the low position and it felt great, this reduces how much your CG moves laterally during normal rocking and rolling.  But there was just some light chop on the lake, I need to take it down near the ocean on the Siuslaw and see how it handles in boat wakes, widely spaced gentle swells, and more wind chop.  that will also let me test it with the sail...cheers

Trident 13

• Salmon
Will be interesting to hear how the fins affect any surfing tendency.  I've wondered that about Hobies coming in during a higher surf, assuming many are pulling drives well before entering that zone?

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
That's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wreglmed

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Thing of beauty is a joy forever. Well done!

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
quick update, added shims at the bottom of the drive well.

that eliminated water splashing up in the back, GPS is indicating 6.5mph on a smooth Munsel Lake.

top speed I could hit was 7mph with a GTT.  It feels like being on a bike and stuck in low gear and the fins are definitely 'fluttering' at that speed...gentle slow pedaling moves the board at 4 to 5mph...next outing I will have my BlackPak on the back and do some test fishing on Siltcoos...cheers.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Would be interesting to see if Hobie has done any "hull speed" type testing using the fins.  Is there a point where they have a hard time keeping up?  At that speed, how fun would it be to have a 30-40 lb tuna hit a trolling lure.  Lol, be careful about using braided line, you might need the stretch of mono...:-)  Really very impressive work demonstrating lots of talent beside curiosity and curettage to whack into that beautiful board!

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Would be interesting to see if Hobie has done any "hull speed" type testing using the fins.  Is there a point where they have a hard time keeping up?  At that speed, how fun would it be to have a 30-40 lb tuna hit a trolling lure.  Lol, be careful about using braided line, you might need the stretch of mono...:-)  Really very impressive work demonstrating lots of talent beside curiosity and curettage to whack into that beautiful board!

from what I have read from some AI sailing guys on the Hobie forum, mirage drives with turbo fins are not able to provide any 'push' at above about 7 or 8mph, they just flutter...

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
This is a gem of a thread!

After uhhh 5 years and change, have you noticed any issues w/ the mirage drive well?

I'm playing around with the idea of fiberglassing an EPS foam core with the aim of building a light mirage drive powered kayak, and one of the issues I'm considering is how seriously I need to reinforce the drive well.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
This is a gem of a thread!

After uhhh 5 years and change, have you noticed any issues w/ the mirage drive well?

I'm playing around with the idea of fiberglassing an EPS foam core with the aim of building a light mirage drive powered kayak, and one of the issues I'm considering is how seriously I need to reinforce the drive well.

I did not notice any real change or issues with the drive well that I built, it was solid. But I haven't really been out on this board since I got the new Outback in late 2018.  Same goes for my i11s which is carefully stored in my garage (I keep it inflated enough to hold it's shape). I am hoping to get some use from the narrower i11s Vantage seat in a couple years, it straps down perfectly on the back of the Outback and I have a 6 month old granddaughter in Corvallis who we are expecting to love the water (her mom is a Marine Biologist):

anything