Forum > Montana Kayak Fishing

Early spring 2019 lake trout fishing on Flathead Lake

<< < (3/3)

pmmpete:
The weather prediction was for light wind on Flathead Lake, so I headed up for some more lake trout fishing.  But in the morning the wind was blowing hard, and big waves were barreling down the lake.  I had to pedal hard to hold myself stationary over the bottom.  I quickly caught 5 lake trout, but the waves started getting excessively rowdy, with crests with a period of about 2 seconds rising above the level of the horizon with whitecaps.  After several waves broke over the bow and poured back into the cockpit of my Revolution, about 9:15 I headed back to the launch site.  I moved my fish into a big cooler in my vehicle, and hung out for about an hour and a half until the wind decreased, the water flattened out, and the whitecaps disappeared. 

After lunch the lake was flat and calm, as predicted.  I caught another ten lake trout, including a 33 inch hog. I ran out of space in my cooler, and had to drag the three biggest fish back to the launch site behind my kayak.  That didn't damage the quality of the meat, because the water temperature was 36 degrees F.

Mojo Jojo:
Damn Pete you got some big trout over there!

Hooper:
Nice. The smoked fish probably makes you many friends. Good on you. We may be thru there this summer.

pmmpete:

--- Quote from: Hooper on May 01, 2019, 07:28:09 PM ---We may be thru there this summer.

--- End quote ---
Look me up. If you come through in July or August, the lake whitefish bite may be on, which is a ton of fun.

Captain Redbeard:
Great report(s) - thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version