Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie drive nuts  (Read 4191 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
this is the approach that I have taken to secure my drive nuts....I applied medium strength 'blue' loctite to the exposed threads and then tightened a regular SS nut up against the Hobie nylock nut.   I checked them after my recent bottom fishing trip (4 hours at the pedals) and no change, all good.

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'm curious how easy it will be to remove the Loc-Tited nut without damaging the plastic drive slot. 
Can you give it a few weeks and break one loose as an experiment?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I'm curious how easy it will be to remove the Loc-Tited nut without damaging the plastic drive slot. 

for sure, my plan is to hold the nylock nut in place with a 7/16 spanner and then loosen the normal nut (that has loctite under it), which should keep stress on the plastic drive slot to a minimum...   

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

for sure, my plan is to hold the nylock nut in place with a 7/16 spanner and then loosen the normal nut (that has loctite under it), which should keep stress on the plastic drive slot to a minimum...   

I would think that would just turn the cable inside the Nylock, and put the same pressures on plastic cable slot?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

I would think that would just turn the cable inside the Nylock, and put the same pressures on plastic cable slot?

I am thinking that first, it will break the nuts loose from each other while putting minimal stress on the plastic slot (remembering that I tightened the nuts together using 2 wrenches).  If that nut separation is due to the new nut loosening, then done deal, the loctite bond is broken.  If it occurs due to the cable end turning in the nylock, then I will still need to break the loctite bond.  At this point, holding the nylock firm against the plastic will add its remaining resistance to the cable end turning to the resistance from the plastic slot.

I sure wouldn't do this with the red 'high strength' loctite.... ;D     

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I've had my '16 Outback about 15 months now (bought new) and haven't touched the nylocs.  I give the cables a tug every now and then to see if they've loosened up and they don't seem to have done so.  What symptoms do you start seeing/hearing when they are loosening up?

Thanks,
Kevin

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

I am thinking that first, it will break the nuts loose from each other while putting minimal stress on the plastic slot (remembering that I tightened the nuts together using 2 wrenches).  If that nut separation is due to the new nut loosening, then done deal, the loctite bond is broken.  If it occurs due to the cable end turning in the nylock, then I will still need to break the loctite bond.  At this point, holding the nylock firm against the plastic will add its remaining resistance to the cable end turning to the resistance from the plastic slot.

I sure wouldn't do this with the red 'high strength' loctite.... ;D     

I'm am interested in the final outcome either way.  Right now you are taking one for the team in the sake of research.   :occasion14:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I've had my '16 Outback about 15 months now (bought new) and haven't touched the nylocs.  I give the cables a tug every now and then to see if they've loosened up and they don't seem to have done so.  What symptoms do you start seeing/hearing when they are loosening up?

Thanks,
Kevin

It's usually after you dink with them.  Like removing them to service something, and then reuse the same Nyloc nut.  As Roger mentioned previously, the cables are flat on two sides to aid in holding them from turning in the slot in the plastic drive.  However, these flat sides are really sharp and can destroy the nylon insert in the Nyloc if taken on and off.  Good to keep a few new 1/4-20 Stainless Nylocs on hand and replace with new after a servicing.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

Thanks,
Kevin

It's usually after you dink with them.  Like removing them to service something, and then reuse the same Nyloc nut.  As Roger mentioned previously, the cables are flat on two sides to aid in holding them from turning in the slot in the plastic drive.  However, these flat sides are really sharp and can destroy the nylon insert in the Nyloc if taken on and off.  Good to keep a few new 1/4-20 Stainless Nylocs on hand and replace with new after a servicing.

exactly, the nut that I had almost fall off on CoosBay (back in May), all I had done before that trip is tighten a few of the nuts a half turn or so as part of normal break-in tightening (I've got about 20 outings on the drive).  And after that trip, 5 were just fine, one had backed out far enough that I could remove it with my fingers.  quick calculation I did, based on how many turns it made during 6 hours on the water, I had maybe 30 minutes left before it fell off (less if the loosened cable jumped off the pulley).  that half turn tighten must have shaved off just enough of the nylon for it to lose it's locking ability.   not acceptable on a mission critical item.   

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Thanks, that would explain it!

Kevin

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I wonder if there is any merit in knocking the sharp edge off the cable flats with a file or emery cloth, and then install new nuts to see if this will reduce the damage they cause to the nylon in the Nyloc? 

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Maybe I’m seeing it wrong but isn’t the end of the bolt shaft where the cable crimped into a hexagon shape? A “line” wrench if it will fit but even a good pair of vice grip?

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Maybe I’m seeing it wrong but isn’t the end of the bolt shaft where the cable crimped into a hexagon shape? A “line” wrench if it will fit but even a good pair of vice grip?

yes, that is "plan B".  if it feels like it is taking too much torque to break that loctite nut loose, the last arrow in my quiver is to grab that cable end with a needle nose vicegrip....but I don't think it will get to that.    ;D

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Great thread and got me asking a question or two re: Hobies

What do people have in the Yak for spare parts, tools, goop, etc. ?

Is there a good overview, video, manual of the proper care and feeding of the mirage drive?

In following this it is clear I dont have the stuff if something repairable goes wrong on the water and that I need to take better care of the drive.

I just picked up 6 Nuylocs, 12 1/4 20 SS nuts and 2 7/16 wrenches as a start
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
what this thread needs is a Beavis and Butthead GIF....