Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:23:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Cold water immersion protection: dry v. semi-dry  (Read 4508 times)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Hey all, I'm hoping to take advantage of these Memorial Day sales and get some immersion gear for my partner. Ideally, I'd get her an actual drysuit, but she tried mine on and indicated that the neck gasket was unbearable. If I'm unable to persuade her that the neck gasket is a thing that one gets used to, how much less protection does a semi-drysuit offer compared to a drysuit? I understand that the only difference is a neoprene neck gasket on the former and a rubber gasket on the latter.

We'll be using this immersion gear in the following locations/applications:
    San Juan kayak camping trips
    Inland kayak camping trips (Ross L, Columbia R, etc)
    Day trips on the Salish Sea

My fear is that we could find ourselves in a tricky situation and that the neoprene gasket would decrease the chances of a positive outcome. I'd appreciate any informed opinions or experiences.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:00:52 AM by bogueYaker »

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
You'll got lots of good opinions on this subject here, I hope. Here's mine:

For non-white-water kayaking, with a PFD on, I personally feel that your survival chances are nearly identical between those two forms of immersion gear. My reasoning is that if your neck is underwater at all it will be for a brief instant. Even then, if you properly tighten the neoprene neck gasket, you will likely have more water down your back from sweat than from the ocean.

Additionally: I'll never stop saying it, COMFORT IS A SAFETY FACTOR. Discomfort leads to fatigue. Fatigue leads to bad decision making. For something as low-impact as a neoprene neck gasket, if it increases the comfort of the wearer even just a little I would highly suggest embracing it.

That said, you can get used to almost anything, so part of the solution is just embracing and wearing whatever you choose long enough that it becomes 2nd nature. I barely even think about my drysuit anymore and actually prefer it most of the time to my waders.

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I have been in the water to test my semi-dry suit - yes, only the neck is neoprene - and I found it to be watertight enough to satisfy me. My take:

1) The neck is still fairly snug. Water doesn't just pour in. It seeps. It takes awhile to get noticeably wet, much longer to get thoroughly wet.
2) You can adjust the neck tighter by means of the built-in elastic drawstring on the neck.
3) With a properly fitted PFD, your neckline isn't necessarily continually submerged. The neckline is high, and I found that in calm water, mine was above the surface all the time. In rougher water, it wasn't, but in attempting re-entry, you are getting your head and shoulders above the surface pretty quickly.

There are always trade-offs when you are talking about safety. A dry suit may keep you safer than a semi-dry suit. Staying on the beach would probably keep you even safer. Uncomfortable gear is probably a bit of a safety hazard in that it distracts you from paying attention to other things. Worrying about your partner is distracting too.

Learning how to re-enter your kayak quickly is the best thing you can do to increase safety - if you do it quickly it doesn't matter much which type suit you're wearing. Also, wear warm, non-absorbent base layers underneath.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Uncomfortable gear is probably a bit of a safety hazard in that it distracts you from paying attention to other things.

A couple years ago I was just on the water and couldnt for the life of me remember how to tie basic knots, I was going crazy... Until I realized the neck gasket was too tight and cutting off circulation to my brain.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I concur with the others.  A neoprene neck gasket will not be the factor that decides your survival if you have a PFD on.  I prefer Goretex.  If Kokatat made a Goretex suit with a neoprene neck gasket, that would be the suit I own.  Since they don't, I carefully trim the neck gasket down to where it is comfortable for me.   If I were honest with myself, I would refer to my drysuit as a semi dry and it works just fine. It got a real good test last summer when I launched in "iffy" conditions and, as I was headed out, I literally got blasted off the back of my kayak by a larger than normal - for that morning- wave.  As I was getting back on, I got blasted right back off and this time the kayak got flipped.  By the time I got the kayak flipped over, got back on, and made it through the surf zone, I had gone under water completely 4 times.  In the end, I had probably a cup to a cup and a half of water inside my drysuit. Remember, when you go in the water, the water pressure is pushing your drysuit tight to your body which also helps prevent water from getting in.  This does not work with stiff rubber waders as we saw last week.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
Okay, I'm very glad that I consulted the group. I'll spring for the semi-dry. She'll be more comfortable, I'll save some money, and she'll be just as safe. Best of all worlds.

Thanks all. You rock.

Cackalacky

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Okay, I'm very glad that I consulted the group. I'll spring for the semi-dry. She'll be more comfortable, I'll save some money, and she'll be just as safe. Best of all worlds.

Thanks all. You rock.

Hey Bogue,
I got this semi-dry https://kokatat.com/product/hydrus-3l-supernova-angler-paddling-suit-dsuhsa and I'm loving it. Admittedly, I'm new to the sport and have only used it about 20-25 times. But I've got no regrets on what was for me a very expensive piece of clothing/equipment.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Outdoorplay.com has the Kokatat Supernova Angler suit with a 20% discount right now.   I've purchased from them several times.  See here:  https://www.outdoorplay.com/kokatat-supernova-hydrus-angler-semi-dry-suit
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:35:30 PM by alpalmer »
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Kokatat does make a goretex semi dry version of the hydrus suit, about $300 more but it does breathe very nicely.  I upgraded to the goretex version when I was offered the free replacement deal on a delam issue, less painful that way.

https://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-GORE-TEX-Supernova-Angler-Paddling-Suit
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Kokatat does make a goretex semi dry version of the hydrus suit, about $300 more but it does breathe very nicely.  I upgraded to the goretex version when I was offered the free replacement deal on a delam issue, less painful that way.

https://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-GORE-TEX-Supernova-Angler-Paddling-Suit

Huh.  I never noticed it before.  Thanks.

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I'll also order the Gore-Tex Supernova, probably this coming week. I was already planning on it after posting my own questions about drysuits and reading this thread definitely reinforced that decision.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
Thanks all for the recommendations. I pounced on a Kokatat Hydrus 2.5 Semi-Dry from an online vendor; delivered to me it cost about 380.

I'm all packed up for moving, but once unpacked I'll post a picture or two of this suit alongside my Kokatat Hydrus Swift Entry. My main impression is that the material on the semi-dry is super thin; so thin that I'm kinda wondering if it would endure a self rescue.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Thanks all for the recommendations. I pounced on a Kokatat Hydrus 2.5 Semi-Dry from an online vendor; delivered to me it cost about 380.

I'm all packed up for moving, but once unpacked I'll post a picture or two of this suit alongside my Kokatat Hydrus Swift Entry. My main impression is that the material on the semi-dry is super thin; so thin that I'm kinda wondering if it would endure a self rescue.

did you get the Supernova with reinforcements and relief zipper?  that would be an outstanding price for that model.  based on my 4 years with a 2.5 Hydrus, you are really going to like it except perhaps in sunny/warm conditions.   
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

bogueYaker

• Lingcod

did you get the Supernova with reinforcements and relief zipper?  that would be an outstanding price for that model.  based on my 4 years with a 2.5 Hydrus, you are really going to like it except perhaps in sunny/warm conditions.   

It wasn't sold as the Supernova, but the tags attached to it did suggest that it is a Supernova. It has reinforced bits (around the knees and butt, and maybe arms), but the un-reinforced areas are super thin. I'm happy to read that it has held up well for you!

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I concur with the others.  A neoprene neck gasket will not be the factor that decides your survival if you have a PFD on.  I prefer Goretex.  If Kokatat made a Goretex suit with a neoprene neck gasket, that would be the suit I own.  Since they don't, I carefully trim the neck gasket down to where it is comfortable for me.   If I were honest with myself, I would refer to my drysuit as a semi dry and it works just fine. It got a real good test last summer when I launched in "iffy" conditions and, as I was headed out, I literally got blasted off the back of my kayak by a larger than normal - for that morning- wave.  As I was getting back on, I got blasted right back off and this time the kayak got flipped.  By the time I got the kayak flipped over, got back on, and made it through the surf zone, I had gone under water completely 4 times.  In the end, I had probably a cup to a cup and a half of water inside my drysuit. Remember, when you go in the water, the water pressure is pushing your drysuit tight to your body which also helps prevent water from getting in.  This does not work with stiff rubber waders as we saw last week.

They saw it again this week up at Trillium or Timothy or some damned place, yakker with waders dumped his kayak. Had a PFD but the waders filled and a couple OTHER yakkers, this time WITHOUT PFD, tried to pull him out of the water and failed, managing to put themselves in the water in the bargain.

Waders - leave them for....you guessed it....wading.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

anything