Forum > For Safety's Sake

Ocean Safety

(1/4) > >>

Leon1980:
So I really like the idea of fishing in the sound as I知 obsessed with lake fishing so far ( even though ive caught nothing from it. Lol) I知 at the Olympia/Lacey  border so it would be the south sound. However I知 pretty hesitant as I don稚 even know if I would consider myself an average swimmer. I would wear a dry suit of course(what with the nasty water temps I have heard about), have a coast guard radio (just in case) and a PFD  of course. However, would it be recommended that I just stay out of the sound if I知 not a strong swimmer???

SHullin:
Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. Rule 1 is know your limits. Get to know your kayak and learn to be one with the boat before testing something dangerous like the sound. Once you're comfortable in still water, use boat wakes to test yourself with some pseudo-waves. but again, know your limits. If you're worried about water temperatures, try testing yourself in shallow waters without a kayak. This is so if (and hopefully don't) fall in, you have experience with the ocean temperature. Just because one is a good swimmer doesn't mean they can beat the sea. Michael Phelps can't swim against some currents Puget Sound has. Always know what the water is doing where you are planning to kayak. NOAA has some GREAT info on this. The more knowledge you have, the more comfortable you'll be! You got this! I'd be willing to head out with you once you choose to head out, I'm in the Seattle area.

workhard:

--- Quote from: Leon1980 on July 10, 2020, 10:01:41 PM ---So I really like the idea of fishing in the sound as I知 obsessed with lake fishing so far ( even though ive caught nothing from it. Lol) I知 at the Olympia/Lacey  border so it would be the south sound. However I知 pretty hesitant as I don稚 even know if I would consider myself an average swimmer. I would wear a dry suit of course(what with the nasty water temps I have heard about), have a coast guard radio (just in case) and a PFD  of course. However, would it be recommended that I just stay out of the sound if I知 not a strong swimmer???

--- End quote ---

You certainly can wear a drysuit out near Olympia, but honestly in the summer heat stroke from wearing one would be a pretty big concern for me. Go out and try it man, there's plenty of sheltered areas you can launch from to get a feel for it. Oly has the best weather for kayaking fishing anywhere in Puget Sound, it's a great place to learn.

Leon1980:
I thought the water is so cold it causes you to freeze up And hypothermia in minutes?

workhard:

--- Quote from: Leon1980 on July 12, 2020, 10:26:14 PM ---I thought the water is so cold it causes you to freeze up And hypothermia in minutes?

--- End quote ---

You should wear a dry suit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version