Forum > For Safety's Sake

Safety

(1/7) > >>

polepole:
I've seen too many bonehead posts on some of the other boards lately.  While I approve of the "this happened to me" posts in the sense that they help us all learn, don't be surprised if I come down hard on you if you pull a bonehead move.  Be prepared for all situations and know how to take care of yourself.  While your paddling partners will be there for you (or should be there for you), don't rely on this fact.  You could be 100 yards away from them when trouble strikes.  100 yards may as well be 100 miles away in many situations.

Practice, practice, practice.  Paddle strokes, re-entry, etc.  Have all the safety gear including knives, VHF, etc.  Know where they are and how to use them.  Take some paddling/safety classes.  If you aren't comfortable or don't know what to do in some situations, post up here.  We'll all help you get through it.

Please listen to the rantings of this madman.  An ounce of prevention ...

-Allen

2009 ... the year of kayak angling safety.
On my soapbox and here to stay.

bsteves:
Maybe we need an informal safety certification.  Take a formal class or show up at an NWKA safety clinic and get credit for it by having some sort of icon/star/etc.. placed in your profile.  Wouldn't really mean much other than it might be a good incentive to get the training done.

Brian

polepole:
I'm against us providing any formal certification.  We're in no position to do this right.  And I don't want to provide a false sense of security.

I am not against informal safety gatherings.  Practice, practice, practice ...

-Allen

bsteves:
I think I said informal, but I guess giving out some sort of icon for it makes it a bit formal.   I was just hoping to figure out a way to get more participation in the informal safety gatherings so people can get their practice in.

Scott:
I have not participated in a kayak safety class but have completed whitewater training/safety classes.  I think there are two issues to cover that would really benefit myself(newer kayaker) and others.  I think a list of equipment one needs to be safe and legal would be great.   If it has already been done, maybe list as a refresher?  This reminds me of when my buddy was checked coming returning to the ramp from a lake this summer.  He recieved a boat inspection and a third degree rant for not having a light stored somewhere in the yak (and no...your fishfinder light isn't going to pass or get a laugh).  Having a light is something you need for safety whether you plan on being out at night or not.

I remember some drills we practiced for the whitewater seasons.  One required running a rapid and dropping an oar.  You had to actually remove the spare and insert it into the oarlock while engaged.  Another involved righting a flipped raft in the main stream.  We practiced patch repairs, first-aid and throw-bag rescues. 

How about a quick reference site available for equipment needed/required/should have but not required etc. (inland vs open water?) and right of way.

I'm all for being prepared and like having a ready bag in my truck to keep me warm and dry.  It does not take much to make yourself somewhat comfortable if you get stranded overnight unexpectedly.  Those comforts could even save your life or someone else.  Whats in your bag?
-Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version