Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Distance Measuring Tool for Whales and Marine Mammals  (Read 2445 times)

Golden Googan

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Hi,

Looked around for a while and couldn't find an answer to this.  Sorry if this is a redundant post and I just missed it.

The other day I was salmon trolling and suddenly was a bunch of orcas by me!  It was really cool and I sort of wanted to get closer to get a better pic but I know there's a 200 yard restriction.  I was probably 1/4 mile away or more and made a point of not getting any closer because I know I'm not that good at estimating distance on the water.  Is there a relatively cheap tool that I can use to measure the distance to a whale/marine mammal to make sure that I stay beyond the restriction?

Thanks!

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I think it's 400 yards in front and behind, 300 yards to the side.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
You want to buy a laser range finder, most hunting suppliers sell them either on the shelf or on line. Point the crosshairs push the button, of course we point push the button then Point the rifle if the deer or elk is in range.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
You want to buy a laser range finder, most hunting suppliers sell them either on the shelf or on line. Point the crosshairs push the button, of course we point push the button then Point the rifle if the deer or elk is in range.

I thought of this too but had a couple concerns/questions:
(1) Will the range finder work on water when shot at a low angle,
(2) No matter the safety rating of the laser, do we run the risk of hurting the eyesight of marine mammals?

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it and consider yourself lucky they came as close as they did.
Anyone that fishes Depoe knows there are usually whales about.
The whales do their thing and we do ours.
Sometimes they come close and you don't know it till they blow 40 yards behind you.
What are you going to do, paddle in some random direction, hoping the whale has gone the other way?
Don't deliberately plot a course towards a whale and you're not going to have a problem with the Fish and Wildlife Service or violate the MMPA

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

I thought of this too but had a couple concerns/questions:
(1) Will the range finder work on water when shot at a low angle,
(2) No matter the safety rating of the laser, do we run the risk of hurting the eyesight of marine mammals?
Mine works just mine laying in the ground behind a log looking across a clear cut, the laser only comes on when you push the range button, so unless your aiming right in its eye I doubt it would be an issue. The cross hairs in the sight make it easy to range in tough terrain.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Amazon has golfing range finders for under $100. Looking like max range is somewhere between 200 & 600 yards.. do not expect these things to be water resistant though.. 

Anyone know of a good visual technique so you don't have to add another device to your gear?
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
One technique that I've been practicing over the YEARS, is going out in a power boat that has radar which will plot a location of nearby boats on a radial grid with distance markers on the chart.  As we are fishing or moving, I try to pick out a vessel and estimate how far it is, then I look at the radar and check my answer.  My distance estimating has improved significantly in the 1/4mi to 4mi range.   Under 1/4mi distance, I try to estimate how far I can cast and extrapolate.  Once again, measuring at home so I KNOW how far I can cast a 2oz weight with a certain rod.

Golden Googan

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I really appreciate the replies.  For my purposes a range finder is probably the best route.  Thanks!