Forum > For Safety's Sake

Distance Measuring Tool for Whales and Marine Mammals

(1/2) > >>

Golden Googan:
Hi,

Looked around for a while and couldn't find an answer to this.  Sorry if this is a redundant post and I just missed it.

The other day I was salmon trolling and suddenly was a bunch of orcas by me!  It was really cool and I sort of wanted to get closer to get a better pic but I know there's a 200 yard restriction.  I was probably 1/4 mile away or more and made a point of not getting any closer because I know I'm not that good at estimating distance on the water.  Is there a relatively cheap tool that I can use to measure the distance to a whale/marine mammal to make sure that I stay beyond the restriction?

Thanks!

snopro:
I think it's 400 yards in front and behind, 300 yards to the side.

Mojo Jojo:
You want to buy a laser range finder, most hunting suppliers sell them either on the shelf or on line. Point the crosshairs push the button, of course we point push the button then Point the rifle if the deer or elk is in range.

bogueYaker:

--- Quote from: Mojo Jojo on August 17, 2020, 10:34:06 PM ---You want to buy a laser range finder, most hunting suppliers sell them either on the shelf or on line. Point the crosshairs push the button, of course we point push the button then Point the rifle if the deer or elk is in range.

--- End quote ---

I thought of this too but had a couple concerns/questions:
(1) Will the range finder work on water when shot at a low angle,
(2) No matter the safety rating of the laser, do we run the risk of hurting the eyesight of marine mammals?

MonkeyFist:
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it and consider yourself lucky they came as close as they did.
Anyone that fishes Depoe knows there are usually whales about.
The whales do their thing and we do ours.
Sometimes they come close and you don't know it till they blow 40 yards behind you.
What are you going to do, paddle in some random direction, hoping the whale has gone the other way?
Don't deliberately plot a course towards a whale and you're not going to have a problem with the Fish and Wildlife Service or violate the MMPA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version