Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Spring 2021 Mack Days on Flathead Lake  (Read 3709 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The Spring 2021 Mack Days fishing derby started today (March 19) on Flathead Lake, and will continue until May 16.  If you want to get paid to go fishing, this is where to do it. Check out the Mack Days website at https://mackdays.com/.

Those sneaky lake trout had deserted my favorite fishing spots, but I found a herd of them elsewhere and pulled in 22 before heading for home in the early afternoon.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I look forward to your posts of Mack Days and your Lake Trout catching every year!   :banjo:

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
I look forward to your posts of Mack Days and your Lake Trout catching every year!   :banjo:
Come out to Montana and join the fun!

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Pete, you should host a Lake Trout CLINIC this time of year.  It sure would be fun to join you!!  I'll certainly let you know when I'm in the area.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Pete, you should host a Lake Trout CLINIC this time of year.  It sure would be fun to join you!!  I'll certainly let you know when I'm in the area.
An advantage of fishing during Mack Days is that you can learn a lot about where the lake trout are by watching the motorboat anglers, a lot of whom are way better at catching lake trout than I'll ever be.

This time of year, the weather can be a bit brisk.  It isn't unusual to be fishing in snow squalls.  But it'll be getting warmer soon, and the lake trout fishing is great all summer long. And I enjoy showing visiting kayak anglers around on Flathead Lake.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
The Spring 2021 Mack Days fishing derby started today (March 19) on Flathead Lake, and will continue until May 16.  If you want to get paid to go fishing, this is where to do it. Check out the Mack Days website at https://mackdays.com/.

Those sneaky lake trout had deserted my favorite fishing spots, but I found a herd of them elsewhere and pulled in 22 before heading for home in the early afternoon.

Great pictures!  Beautiful up there.  Love the patches of snow.........  I imagine the water temperatures are quite frosty.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Great pictures!  Beautiful up there.  Love the patches of snow.........  I imagine the water temperatures are quite frosty.
The water temperature at the surface has been about 33 degrees in the morning, and a few degrees warmer in the afternoon.  Here's what it looked like when I launched on March 16.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:52:57 PM by pmmpete »

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Today snow squalls scurried across Flathead Lake while I fished.  I found a crayfish on the shore where I launched.  It wasn't scurrying; it was dead.  It was probably brown when alive, but changed color after being exposed to sunlight and cold weather by dropping water levels.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
I went lake trout fishing with Brian Jahner from Missoula (green kayak) and Phil Huck from Minnesota (red kayak) on Flathead Lake today.  The lake has been pretty windy in the last couple of weeks, but this was the calmest day we've had in quite a while.

Adrift

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
I love the Clearwater chain of lakes NE of Missoula.  I “discovered” this area on a camping/canoe-fishing trip with my two children in the late summer of 2018, and managed to catch a few kokanee out of Lake Inez. 
I went back last July, to meet a friend/fellow firefighter-paramedic from Albuquerque, NM, in order to do some kayak fishing/camping on Lindbergh Lake.
At this point, I had a fully rigged Hobie PA14, along with lots of rods/reels, and tackle, and was ready to slay some lakers.
I only ended up catching 4 small-to-medium sized lake trout over the same number of days, but I definitely caught the laker fever. 
Would love to get back in the summer with someone who knew what they were doing!
BTW: I now live in Portland, OR, so it’s definitely a commitment to get out there.
Cheers!

Adrift

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
Getting there from Minnesota (Phil) is quite a drive.
I was born and raised in MN, until I joined the USAF, went overseas, and  have hence made my home in the SW, and now PNW US.
Lake trout on Flathead Lake, MT, and Lahontan cutthroat trout on Pyramid Lake, NV are definitely on my kayak-fishing bucket list!

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
It was cool and calm on Flathead Lake today, and I caught 24 lake trout.

One of the Macks was 33 inches long (the first picture below), so under the Mack Days rules it won't count towards my fish total.  This rule is to prevent favoring anglers who fish on the south half of the lake on the Flathead Reservation over anglers who fish on the north half of the lake outside the reservation, because on the reservation you can keep lake trout of any size, but on the north half of the lake you can't keep fish from 30"-36", and can only keep one fish per day over 36".

On both halves of the lake, the daily limit for lake trout is one hundred (100) lake trout.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:32:57 PM by pmmpete »

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Nicely done, Pete!

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Here are pictures of a 29" and a 31" lake trout which I caught today on Flathead Lake.  I released a larger Mack, probably 36"-38", but didn't manage to get a picture of it.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
such a marvelous fishery.  Well done, Pete!
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--