Forum > Montana Kayak Fishing

Spring 2021 Mack Days on Flathead Lake

<< < (2/5) > >>

YakHunter:

--- Quote from: pmmpete on March 19, 2021, 10:30:06 PM ---The Spring 2021 Mack Days fishing derby started today (March 19) on Flathead Lake, and will continue until May 16.  If you want to get paid to go fishing, this is where to do it. Check out the Mack Days website at https://mackdays.com/.

Those sneaky lake trout had deserted my favorite fishing spots, but I found a herd of them elsewhere and pulled in 22 before heading for home in the early afternoon.

--- End quote ---

Great pictures!  Beautiful up there.  Love the patches of snow.........  I imagine the water temperatures are quite frosty.

pmmpete:

--- Quote from: YakHunter on March 22, 2021, 08:07:03 AM ---Great pictures!  Beautiful up there.  Love the patches of snow.........  I imagine the water temperatures are quite frosty.

--- End quote ---
The water temperature at the surface has been about 33 degrees in the morning, and a few degrees warmer in the afternoon.  Here's what it looked like when I launched on March 16.

pmmpete:
Today snow squalls scurried across Flathead Lake while I fished.  I found a crayfish on the shore where I launched.  It wasn't scurrying; it was dead.  It was probably brown when alive, but changed color after being exposed to sunlight and cold weather by dropping water levels.

pmmpete:
I went lake trout fishing with Brian Jahner from Missoula (green kayak) and Phil Huck from Minnesota (red kayak) on Flathead Lake today.  The lake has been pretty windy in the last couple of weeks, but this was the calmest day we've had in quite a while.

Adrift:
I love the Clearwater chain of lakes NE of Missoula.  I “discovered” this area on a camping/canoe-fishing trip with my two children in the late summer of 2018, and managed to catch a few kokanee out of Lake Inez. 
I went back last July, to meet a friend/fellow firefighter-paramedic from Albuquerque, NM, in order to do some kayak fishing/camping on Lindbergh Lake.
At this point, I had a fully rigged Hobie PA14, along with lots of rods/reels, and tackle, and was ready to slay some lakers.
I only ended up catching 4 small-to-medium sized lake trout over the same number of days, but I definitely caught the laker fever. 
Would love to get back in the summer with someone who knew what they were doing!
BTW: I now live in Portland, OR, so it’s definitely a commitment to get out there.
Cheers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version