Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:07:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Lake trout double creates chaos  (Read 1717 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The temperature was predicted to get above 100 degrees today, so I decided to beat the heat by going lake trout fishing on Flathead Lake.  The 66 degree water temperature nicely offset the scorching air temperature.  I caught 11 lake trout.  One of my hookups put up a particularly hard fight, and after I winched it 170 feet up to the surface I discovered why - it was two fish, not one fish.  Playing the fish up to my kayak was tricky because they had different opinions about what direction to swim, and netting them was a challenge because my lures were 18 inches apart.  I would scoop up one fish, but when I went for the second fish, the first fish would slither out of my net.  It took me six tries to get both fish in my net at the same time. A couple of times I thought that one of the fish had gotten loose and had returned to the deep, but it was just hiding under my kayak.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Great work,  never give up.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
The temperature was predicted to get above 100 degrees today, so I decided to beat the heat by going lake trout fishing on Flathead Lake.  The 66 degree water temperature nicely offset the scorching air temperature.  I caught 11 lake trout.  One of my hookups put up a particularly hard fight, and after I winched it 170 feet up to the surface I discovered why - it was two fish, not one fish.  Playing the fish up to my kayak was tricky because they had different opinions about what direction to swim, and netting them was a challenge because my lures were 18 inches apart.  I would scoop up one fish, but when I went for the second fish, the first fish would slither out of my net.  It took me six tries to get both fish in my net at the same time. A couple of times I thought that one of the fish had gotten loose and had returned to the deep, but it was just hiding under my kayak.

I assume one hit your jig and the other the fly?
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I assume one hit your jig and the other the fly?
Correct.  I rarely catch two lake trout at the same time on a jig/fly rig because both fish have to bite at the same time to give me a double.  Normally as soon as I get a hit I set the hook and start pulling up the fish, which pulls the other hook away from any other lake trout which were inspecting my rig.

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
What a great problem to have Peter!
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

anything