Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: drowning at flat head lake  (Read 2372 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
It wasn't me.  Which you should have guessed, because the article said "Both individuals were not wearing life vests."

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Uhhh. Yeah, missed that part.. glad it's not you
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I just don't understand how people go kayaking without a PFD. I truly consider it just the same as the paddle. Would never even consider going without it, and I wear it 100% of the time.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I just don't understand how people go kayaking without a PFD. I truly consider it just the same as the paddle. Would never even consider going without it, and I wear it 100% of the time.

This week another kayaker gave me shit for not wearing my life jacket... I figured he was being catty because I'd earlier advised him that casting for pinks while trolling was a ticketable offense .... Regardless, he was right. When I got home I ordered a high backed life jacket -- should be more comfortable than the one I was sitting on when he mentioned the lack of a life jacket.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I'd earlier advised him that casting for pinks while trolling was a ticketable offense.
That's an odd one.  Is it because he would be fishing two rods in a non two rod area?

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
I'd earlier advised him that casting for pinks while trolling was a ticketable offense.
That's an odd one.  Is it because he would be fishing two rods in a non two rod area?

Yep -- fairly certain that all of the Salish Sea is a one rod show with the exception of MA13. I know for sure that MA10 is a one rod area.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Yeah I don't get the refusal to wear a pfd when paddling  either... I think the regs need a tune up.  Might be people thinking they're taking advantage of a loophole... 

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Yeah I don't get the refusal to wear a pfd when paddling  either... I think the regs need a tune up.  Might be people thinking they're taking advantage of a loophole...

I view PFDs and kayaks very similar to signing the climb register at the summit trailhead at any PNW mountain area.  Do it for your family/friends. Even if you die doing what you love, your body has a better chance of being recovered and properly laid to rest, rather than just becoming a meal for the local animals and insects and never recovered.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bogueYaker

• Lingcod

I view PFDs and kayaks very similar to signing the climb register at the summit trailhead at any PNW mountain area.  Do it for your family/friends. Even if you die doing what you love, your body has a better chance of being recovered and properly laid to rest, rather than just becoming a meal for the local animals and insects and never recovered.

There's that for sure, but I mainly wear mine because
(a) Cold water shock is a thing... have read many articles just this year where people fall into cold water and simply don't come back up. As I understand it - among other incapacitating things, the body reflexively gasps for air when submerged in cold water... insta-drowning.
(b) If I experience loss of consciousness on the water (medical event, PB collision, etc) and go overboard, I figure my chances of survival are greater than zero, which is just about where my chances would be in the same circumstances if I weren't wearing a life jacket.

Reason (b) is also why I have my dog wear a life jacket whenever she's out with me. She's a great swimmer, but that don't count for anything if you get run over by a PB.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I have my dog wear a life jacket whenever she's out with me. She's a great swimmer, but that don't count for anything if you get run over by a PB.

Just curious about canine life jackets since you mentioned them.  Are they designed to hod the dog's nose above water so they can breathe if injured?

And count me in as always wearing my PFD - and I'll speak for surf12foot, too, since that guy always has his PFD on, even while we're still in the parking lot.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
I have my dog wear a life jacket whenever she's out with me. She's a great swimmer, but that don't count for anything if you get run over by a PB.

Just curious about canine life jackets since you mentioned them.  Are they designed to hod the dog's nose above water so they can breathe if injured?

I haven't seen any that would hold her head above water if she were fully incapacitated... But I figure a life jacket at least gives her a fighting chance. I'm already putting her in a mildly risky situation by taking her out on a kayak, no sense in not mitigating that risk as much as possible.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks!  I've been thinking about putting my dogs on the kayak with me - one at a time or we'd all be swimming - and this helps.  I appreciate it.

I haven't seen any that would hold her head above water if she were fully incapacitated... But I figure a life jacket at least gives her a fighting chance. I'm already putting her in a mildly risky situation by taking her out on a kayak, no sense in not mitigating that risk as much as possible.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks!  I've been thinking about putting my dogs on the kayak with me - one at a time or we'd all be swimming - and this helps.  I appreciate it.

My dog is a good swimmer and loves the water, but I always have her in a dog pfd when on the kayak.  The pfd will help her if she is tired, but the biggest benefit for me is having the handle on the back of the pfd for lifting the dog back in the kayak.  Otherwise it is a real pain.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Floatation for doggos is a good thing. Our Chihuahua /Terrier mix can swim with hers... our Basset Hound? Nope..  But, she does wear it when we have her near water with a chance of her falling in . Even wears it at the westport floats when we go out there to crab off them

anything