Forum > For Safety's Sake

drowning at flat head lake

<< < (3/3)

Tinker:

--- Quote from: bogueYaker on August 15, 2021, 09:20:22 AM ---...
I have my dog wear a life jacket whenever she's out with me. She's a great swimmer, but that don't count for anything if you get run over by a PB.

--- End quote ---

Just curious about canine life jackets since you mentioned them.  Are they designed to hod the dog's nose above water so they can breathe if injured?

And count me in as always wearing my PFD - and I'll speak for surf12foot, too, since that guy always has his PFD on, even while we're still in the parking lot.

bogueYaker:

--- Quote from: Tinker on August 15, 2021, 10:08:43 AM ---
--- Quote from: bogueYaker on August 15, 2021, 09:20:22 AM ---...
I have my dog wear a life jacket whenever she's out with me. She's a great swimmer, but that don't count for anything if you get run over by a PB.

--- End quote ---

Just curious about canine life jackets since you mentioned them.  Are they designed to hod the dog's nose above water so they can breathe if injured?

--- End quote ---

I haven't seen any that would hold her head above water if she were fully incapacitated... But I figure a life jacket at least gives her a fighting chance. I'm already putting her in a mildly risky situation by taking her out on a kayak, no sense in not mitigating that risk as much as possible.

Tinker:
Thanks!  I've been thinking about putting my dogs on the kayak with me - one at a time or we'd all be swimming - and this helps.  I appreciate it.

--- Quote from: bogueYaker on August 15, 2021, 10:14:18 AM ---I haven't seen any that would hold her head above water if she were fully incapacitated... But I figure a life jacket at least gives her a fighting chance. I'm already putting her in a mildly risky situation by taking her out on a kayak, no sense in not mitigating that risk as much as possible.

--- End quote ---

Nobaddays:

--- Quote from: Tinker on August 15, 2021, 10:19:59 AM ---Thanks!  I've been thinking about putting my dogs on the kayak with me - one at a time or we'd all be swimming - and this helps.  I appreciate it.

--- End quote ---

My dog is a good swimmer and loves the water, but I always have her in a dog pfd when on the kayak.  The pfd will help her if she is tired, but the biggest benefit for me is having the handle on the back of the pfd for lifting the dog back in the kayak.  Otherwise it is a real pain.

[WR]:
Floatation for doggos is a good thing. Our Chihuahua /Terrier mix can swim with hers... our Basset Hound? Nope..  But, she does wear it when we have her near water with a chance of her falling in . Even wears it at the westport floats when we go out there to crab off them

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version