Forum > For Safety's Sake

drowning at flat head lake

<< < (2/3) > >>

snopro:

--- Quote from: bogueYaker on August 13, 2021, 01:42:25 PM ---I'd earlier advised him that casting for pinks while trolling was a ticketable offense.

--- End quote ---
That's an odd one.  Is it because he would be fishing two rods in a non two rod area?

bogueYaker:

--- Quote from: snopro on August 13, 2021, 02:11:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: bogueYaker on August 13, 2021, 01:42:25 PM ---I'd earlier advised him that casting for pinks while trolling was a ticketable offense.

--- End quote ---
That's an odd one.  Is it because he would be fishing two rods in a non two rod area?

--- End quote ---

Yep -- fairly certain that all of the Salish Sea is a one rod show with the exception of MA13. I know for sure that MA10 is a one rod area.

[WR]:
Yeah I don't get the refusal to wear a pfd when paddling  either... I think the regs need a tune up.  Might be people thinking they're taking advantage of a loophole... 

INSAYN:

--- Quote from: [WR] on August 13, 2021, 05:16:10 PM ---Yeah I don't get the refusal to wear a pfd when paddling  either... I think the regs need a tune up.  Might be people thinking they're taking advantage of a loophole...

--- End quote ---

I view PFDs and kayaks very similar to signing the climb register at the summit trailhead at any PNW mountain area.  Do it for your family/friends. Even if you die doing what you love, your body has a better chance of being recovered and properly laid to rest, rather than just becoming a meal for the local animals and insects and never recovered.

bogueYaker:

--- Quote from: INSAYN on August 14, 2021, 02:47:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: [WR] on August 13, 2021, 05:16:10 PM ---Yeah I don't get the refusal to wear a pfd when paddling  either... I think the regs need a tune up.  Might be people thinking they're taking advantage of a loophole...

--- End quote ---

I view PFDs and kayaks very similar to signing the climb register at the summit trailhead at any PNW mountain area.  Do it for your family/friends. Even if you die doing what you love, your body has a better chance of being recovered and properly laid to rest, rather than just becoming a meal for the local animals and insects and never recovered.

--- End quote ---

There's that for sure, but I mainly wear mine because
(a) Cold water shock is a thing... have read many articles just this year where people fall into cold water and simply don't come back up. As I understand it - among other incapacitating things, the body reflexively gasps for air when submerged in cold water... insta-drowning.
(b) If I experience loss of consciousness on the water (medical event, PB collision, etc) and go overboard, I figure my chances of survival are greater than zero, which is just about where my chances would be in the same circumstances if I weren't wearing a life jacket.

Reason (b) is also why I have my dog wear a life jacket whenever she's out with me. She's a great swimmer, but that don't count for anything if you get run over by a PB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version