Forum > Recipes

Canned smoked chinook

(1/2) > >>

bogueYaker:
This morning I decided that if my girlfriend can settle for me, I can settle for a 25" fish.

Interested in smoking and then canning it -- found this recipe online:
https://riptidefish.com/smoking-and-canning-chinook-salmon/

Anyone have opinions on canning smoked chinook, or on this recipe? If you have another recipe, would love to hear it.

Nobaddays:

--- Quote from: bogueYaker on August 15, 2021, 10:07:34 AM ---This morning I decided that if my girlfriend can settle for me, I can settle for a 25" fish.

Anyone have opinions on canning smoked chinook, or on this recipe? If you have another recipe, would love to hear it.

--- End quote ---

My process is even easier than this recipe and I have been happy with the results.  I don’t brine mine.  I smoke them for 20 minutes then just place in the jar with 1 inch head space.  I add one teaspoon non iodized salt in each jar then process in the pressure canner. I don’t add any additional oil or liquid.  The jars will have lots of liquid when you are done processing them.

rogerdodger:

--- Quote from: Nobaddays on August 15, 2021, 10:32:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: bogueYaker on August 15, 2021, 10:07:34 AM ---This morning I decided that if my girlfriend can settle for me, I can settle for a 25" fish.

--- End quote ---

My process is even easier than this recipe and I have been happy with the results.  I don’t brine mine.  I smoke them for 20 minutes then just place in the jar with 1 inch head space.  I add one teaspoon non iodized salt in each jar then process in the pressure canner. I don’t add any additional oil or liquid.  The jars will have lots of liquid when you are done processing them.

--- End quote ---

I agree, keep it simple and the canning process will distribute/enhance the smoke flavor, so lightly smoked chunks is what you want going into the jars.

YakHunter:
I can part of my elk (my grandchildren's favorite) but never thought of canning salmon.  Thanks for the heads up and link!

Klondike Kid:

--- Quote from: rogerdodger on August 15, 2021, 12:24:07 PM ---I agree, keep it simple and the canning process will distribute/enhance the smoke flavor, so lightly smoked chunks is what you want going into the jars.

--- End quote ---

I gotta second that about go lightly on the smoking when canning salmon. It seems the canning process intensifies the smoke flavor and reaction with the meat. Some folks I know completely smoke their fish to the dry state, then can it in jars to preserve it for longtime storage. They found out it can get a bitter taste when they used too many pans of chips once it went through the canning process. Best to Vac Pack dry smoked salmon and freeze it. It will keep for years! I'm still nibbling on 2019 labels for snacks and salmon spread mix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version