Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:17:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kauai kayak fishing intel?  (Read 1948 times)

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hey All,

I find myself fortunate enough to be breaking out of the winter PNW weather and heading to Kauai for a week in late February. I’m planning to fish (of course!) but am at the beginning of my intel-gathering phase.

It’s a family trip so fishing isn’t the main event but my 14yo and I will be bringing rods for shore and pier fishing, and I’m planning to rent yaks some days. We’re staying in Princeville on the North Shore.

We’re going to do some day trips so not limited to the immediate area, though that will be most convenient. I may do a morning charter early too to get offshore and learn the lay of the land. It looks like some basic messing around in the bays would be easy, but would be cool to try for some bigger and tastier fish. Anyone have any recommendations? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Before my trip to the islands was covid cancelled, I was going to do a day kayak fishing for tuna, wahoo, and dorado, with Kauai Bucketlist Adventures.

I talked to the guy a bunch of times, was very helpful and professional.

Thats all I know about opportunities there. 
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
The standard shoreline whipping rig is a 1/2 to 1 oz egg sinker carolina rigged with about 3' of leader. 12-15#main and leader. AH (or whatever type of hook you have) with a scrounger (curly tail) in firecracker or black or clear live strip. Experiment with retrieves and see what works best. You'll need to work the live strips a little more than the curly tails. This should catch everything on the reefs during the day. Mostly Papio, goats, moi, cornet fish, barracuda. Night time fishing is fun. Use a dropper loop with 1-3 oz bank sinker with droppers and leaders 1' and 2' feet up from the lead. Long cut strips of ika or chunks of shrimp will catch you everything at night. Snappers, papio and moi are most common. Find a rip current ( or where sand and rocks meet) along a beach and cast into the rip and you are set. This can be done during the day time too.  DO NOT SWIM IN THE RIP! There's bass and tucanare on Kauai as well.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Thanks guys, this is great. I checked out the Kauai Bucketlist site, that may one of the ways to go, it looks great. Need to get with the other stakeholders (family) to see about out schedule and plans.

Looking at youtube videos, there’s a lot of good action with guys catching pelagics. I came across this gem, have a look:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:22:19 AM by Dawn Patrol »

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I am so jealous! From all directions! We stayed in Princeville a few years ago. Love that place! We did a lot of snorkeling.
I did do an offshore charter trip with Kai bear charters. My son caught a short billed spearfish. That was the only bite of the 1/2 day charter. We got to eat a chunk of that fish, which made for the best meal of the entire trip.
I wish I had tried some more ocean fishing, but will go back again someday.
Good luck! I will be excited to hear how your trip turns out!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I was there this fall but didn’t fish. Kauai bucket list adventures is your only real option for a guide and pedal drive from what I could find. Most of the rental companies  are renting ocean kayak tandem. If you get one, pay the extra for a rudder. I think most companies are expecting you to use the rental in the freshwater rivers/estuaries so double check you are allowed to take it into the ocean.

From what I understand too, the north shore is rough and dangerous in the winter. Hanalei bay may be your only option but even that can get rough from what I read. You will probably have to drive down to the south shore to poipu or Waimea to be safe, but conditions in the winter are supposed to be more calm there and the shelf drops off much faster on that side

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I am so jealous! From all directions! We stayed in Princeville a few years ago. Love that place! We did a lot of snorkeling.
I did do an offshore charter trip with Kai bear charters. My son caught a short billed spearfish. That was the only bite of the 1/2 day charter. We got to eat a chunk of that fish, which made for the best meal of the entire trip.
I wish I had tried some more ocean fishing, but will go back again someday.
Good luck! I will be excited to hear how your trip turns out!

A long time ago now, but I went out with Kai Bear and basically got a slow boat ride for 6 hours for my cash and trouble. They were nice enough but I was not impressed.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Thanks everyone, this is all good intel. Yeah the winter weather on the North Shore looks to be a strong potential factor in planning. Right now I am thinking about Hanalei Bay rental kayak fishing, shore fishing, seeing if I can slot in a tour w/Bucketlist, and likely sorting a half day boat charter so family can join. And eating tons of poke.

I’ll keep the thread updated as I learn more, and hope to have a good report upon return. Please keep any intel coming if you have it, thanks!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Just in case you're not aware: the local custom there is the customer on a charter only gets a portion of the catch to take home, so check ahead with the captain if you're hoping to fill the fridge.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
North shore is usually pretty rough during the winter. Poipu area will usually be pretty calm. Koloa landing and Lawai beach next to the Beach House restaurant should be good for snorkeling. I haven't lived there for a while so I'm not sure on access any more but there should be public right of ways.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Love the north shore of Kauai.  Good snorkeling at Anini Beach which is super close, or you could just walk down the stairs/path to Hideaways If surf is somewhat mellow.

Years ago I fished with Don Jones out of Nawiliwili near the Marriott just past the airport, not bad but as has been mentioned it’s pricey and fishing was just okay.  Think he’s upgraded from the trailer boat he had back then.  Good guy.

Be sure to hit the Kilauea fish market for plate lunches and/or fresh fish.  The Dolphin right in Hanalei is really good as well, we always got rolls there for lunch.

Enjoy your trip!
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
Talking to my dad today and he says it’s a little too rough to go fishing tonight

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Looks a wee bit sporty