Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:11:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Saltwater Adrenaline Rush  (Read 1366 times)

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
OK, I’m tripping here but stay with me….  Where’s your happy place? Like may of us here, mine is Pacific City. I’ve been going there since the early 90’s, fishing there for 5-6 years and there is something absolutely magical about that place.

How many times a day do you look at the PC webcam? You got MagicSeaweed queued up? Yeah we all do. Of course there’s only a handful of times that the stars align and the conditions are good, but every day we’re dreaming.

Finally, you see favorable conditions – tides, wind, primary, secondary, tertiary - boom, it’s go time!

Driving West I’m so giddy I can hardly keep the truck between the ditches. Whether you go Hwy 18 or along the Little Nestucca Hwy, the first time you see Haystack Rock from Hwy 101 it’s like a IV dose of adrenaline. Holy smokes! I’m honking the horn. Yelling out loud. Fist pumping. High fiving the air. 

You get to PC and the truck tires hit sand, boy that’s awesome, ain't it? I’m shaking with excitement just typing this out. And then the magic really begins. Pedaling out like a maniac, loading up on seafood, spotting pelicans, whales, the occasional mola mola, then pedaling like a maniac back in. Smile from ear to ear. Happy to be done but sad that it’s over.

Like an addict, I’ll never get tired of the high of fishing PC.

Is this normal? Where is your happy place? What does your high look like? 
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
For me it is Depoe Bay, or nearby Fogerty Creek. I look at MSW numerous times every day. I am not kidding when I say that I am getting the shakes from a lack of salt in my face. I have only been out once this year, and that was back in Feb!
That is just plain and simple BS!!

After my 3rd time of looking at MSW for the day I text Clayman about Monday. He acted as the Debbie Downer of the reality world and said, bro, that is marginal at best!

GDMF! And a bunch of other swear words later, I admitted that I may have been letting my extreme desire to go get the best of me!

So now, other than the 782 times I will check between now and Monday, I am stranded without good fishing in sight!

Maybe it has changed. I better go check.......
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Sounds like me, other than driving south on the 101 to get there...
PC is definitely the happy place.
One typical additional long dose of adrenaline is seeing dense fog pop up near Tillamook....and then hoping that PC is not covered in it.... Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Based on the webcam it surely seemed fishable today, so a missed opportunity:-(

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
After my 3rd time of looking at MSW for the day I text Clayman about Monday. He acted as the Debbie Downer of the reality world and said, bro, that is marginal at best!
lol, I should change my screen name to Debbie Downer. Forecast is still a ways out, maybe it'll improve!

I still get butterflies every time I pedal out onto the Pacific, but the #1 place for me is Shelter Cove, CA. You never get there by accident. On the south end of the Lost Coast, it's in a spot that hosts a blend of all sorts of fisheries. Chinook salmon, CA halibut, Pac halibut, thresher sharks...one of those four tends to take center stage on any given year. Not to mention the ever-present lingcod and rockfish. Every now and then, white seabass show up. Currents and weather can be crazy there sometimes, but I think that's part of what makes it such an amazing fishery.

Some of my greatest fish from The Cove were hooked within 100 yards of the launch, everything from 30 pound Chinook to 150 pound threshers. You gotta be on your game every second you have a bait in the water, as there's a high likelihood you'll hook a fish of a lifetime.
aMayesing Bros.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Simpson reef.  Since 2016 I have been there on my Oasis, i11s, and Outback. Second trip there in May 2016 I learned, after releasing my first ever cabezon, that I could barf off the kayak and keep on fishing, still navigate safely, that was a huge saltwater moment for me.

But I still get butterflies everytime pulling into the Sunset bay launch, then calm deep breaths going through my set-up, baiting up my crab pots, and 8 times now, also kitting up Pepper in her wetsuit and under float PFD.

I've been chased away by huge sea lions after stealing a lingcod under their noses, saw Biggs orca dorsals in the distance, and encountered feeding gray whales, sadly (unless you ask my wife) no sharks yet.

Lots and lots of fish have come back from Simpson reef but I'm still looking for that 40" lingcod. However, that fat chinook that Pepper and I caught about a mile offshore there last August was pretty sweet. Sunset bay- ocean tag code 20! lol

(for those not familiar with Sunset Bay, it is tiny. at low tide it is a pond maybe 3' deep in the center, at higher tides, about 100yards in diameter and 8' deep)

cheers, roger

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:21:23 PM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
PC is also my special place.  Watching my son launch there and catch his first ling a couple of years ago is a memory I will never forget.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 08:47:45 PM by hdpwipmonkey »
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Yeah, fog is a buzzkill for sure. Hard to predict and certainly not something to mess with.

I’ve scouted DB and Fogerty but never launched there. They’re on the agenda for this year though. And one of these days I’ll join Roger and Pepper at Sunset Bay. Shelter Cove looks amazing. Now I’m down a rabbit hole again. But smiling!
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Foggy days have calm air, and down here, the wind is what kept me on shore more than anything else.  Fog never bothered me.

I didn't have one favorite spot.  Anywhere I was on the water was the best possible place to be.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I've fished so many locations over the years and each one has a place in my heart for similar and different reasons alike.

Hobuck is by far my favorite for so many reasons.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Perfect choice.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:38:42 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
If I had to pick one, its either the secret spot on the boardman corridor or the secret spot on the lost coast.  Each of those is 30 miles or so long, so go find my spot.  Exploring it on charts/navionics and then going out there and exploring in person is most of the fun.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
If I had to pick one, its either the secret spot on the boardman corridor or the secret spot on the lost coast.  Each of those is 30 miles or so long, so go find my spot.  Exploring it on charts/navionics and then going out there and exploring in person is most of the fun.
I looove the Lost Coast Secret Spot. Only downside is it spoils you for bottomfish. Makes everywhere else seem sucky in comparison  :laugh:.
aMayesing Bros.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I looove the Lost Coast Secret Spot. Only downside is it spoils you for bottomfish. Makes everywhere else seem sucky in comparison  :laugh:.

True dat! 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

anything