Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:32:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Old Hobie Outback - Hull check  (Read 1699 times)

cb

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2022
Hey All,

I'm new to the community and I just picked up an old 2005-ish Outback. Before I start rigging it out I'd like to get this forum's advice.

Shortly after I got it home I noticed a decent sized crack on the underside where the sailing rig "scupper hole" terminates. Photos below.

I've been out on water with it once for a couple hours without any issues, but I worry it's not sustainable nor safe for bigger water.

I know these older models are prone to issues with cracking around the drive well but this one seems fine in that area.

Do folks think this crack could be repaired? Should I save my time and money for a later model and re-sell this one for what I can (with a disclosure about the hull, of course)?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Christian

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 03:21:13 PM by cb »

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Looks bulged out.  Is the mast tube damaged or was it forced downward from the top?  Assuimg nothing wrong with the mast tube thisis an easy plastic weld fix.  Drill out the ends of the cracks to prevent further spread and get to work with plastic and a heat gun or JB weld.  You can get plastic repair rods from a hobie dealer, usualllly matching in color.  YOu might want ot look into a keel guard of some type, some of those scratches look pretty deep.  Also fix the deeper scratches while you are there.  Youtube is your friend.

cb

• Plankton
Looks bulged out.  Is the mast tube damaged or was it forced downward from the top?  Assuimg nothing wrong with the mast tube thisis an easy plastic weld fix.  Drill out the ends of the cracks to prevent further spread and get to work with plastic and a heat gun or JB weld.  You can get plastic repair rods from a hobie dealer, usualllly matching in color.  YOu might want ot look into a keel guard of some type, some of those scratches look pretty deep.  Also fix the deeper scratches while you are there.  Youtube is your friend.

Thanks so much for your response. I agree it definitely looks bulged out from the top. Here's a pic of the mast tube from the inside. Structurally it doesn't look great...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
That looks like it was dropped hard.  Like off the top of a vehicle.  Maybe while in motion.

I'm concerned about the crack on the right side of the photo that looks like its coming from the mast.

Looks like a bit of a project but I think you could clean it up pretty nicely.  You'll need to learn how to plastic weld.  Head off to youtube.

cb

• Plankton
That looks like it was dropped hard.  Like off the top of a vehicle.  Maybe while in motion.

I'm concerned about the crack on the right side of the photo that looks like its coming from the mast.

Looks like a bit of a project but I think you could clean it up pretty nicely.  You'll need to learn how to plastic weld.  Head off to youtube.

Thanks for the advice! After watching some youtube I think this might be something I could pull off. Went ahead and bought the hobie welding kit and will give it a shot.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I would drill the ends of the cracks on the bottom and weld it all back up.  Then clean and scuff the entire mast base and apply a coat or two of G-Flex two part epoxy rather than JB Weld.

The G-Flex binds really well to these hulls.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

cb

• Plankton
I would drill the ends of the cracks on the bottom and weld it all back up.  Then clean and scuff the entire mast base and apply a coat or two of G-Flex two part epoxy rather than JB Weld.

The G-Flex binds really well to these hulls.

Good shout on the G-Flex. I was not looking forward to squeezing in to try and weld the inside with the hobie iron lol

anything