Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: LiFePO4 chargers  (Read 2296 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
As a sister question to my question about Garmin fishfinders, the kid started asking me about LiFePO4 batteries - another topic I know nothing about.

I've been reading about them and reading the consumer comments/complaints.  Almost all of the negative comments seem to address the failure of the battery charger, which I found curious, especially since most claim (without proof) they're using a recommended charger and it still killed their battery.

Who's using LiFePO4 batteries?  What charger are you using?  And does anyone feel like adopting a Millennial and getting him off of my hands?  He knows how to install fiber-optic cable...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Pretty sure my charger handles lead acid and lifepo; it's a smart charger. Was given to me by an electrical engineer. Nice thing about it is I can charge or discharge batteries at a rate of my choosing and it stops before overcharging. It's sitting at my folk's place, I'll swing by there and get some more info for you.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you.  I appreciate it.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
As a sister question to my question about Garmin fishfinders, the kid started asking me about LiFePO4 batteries - another topic I know nothing about.

I've been reading about them and reading the consumer comments/complaints.  Almost all of the negative comments seem to address the failure of the battery charger, which I found curious, especially since most claim (without proof) they're using a recommended charger and it still killed their battery.

Who's using LiFePO4 batteries?  What charger are you using?  And does anyone feel like adopting a Millennial and getting him off of my hands?  He knows how to install fiber-optic cable...

I have been using a Bioenno 20 ah LiFePO4 battery for a couple years.  I have nothing but good to say about it.  I have used it for five days of fishing with my Garmin Striker 7 plus ff without charging and it still had plenty of power to go longer.  I use the charger that came with it.  The charger is really simple and only works for that battery, but it charges quickly and I haven’t had any issues.

And no, I’m quite content with an empty nest right now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 07:09:09 AM by Nobaddays »
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
Many come with a charger which would be fine, the "off brand" battery I picked up did not so I grabbed this charger on a recommendation from a friend who had used the same: https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-Charger-Lithium-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B087C9WZZC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1XX7ALGCUVLKU&keywords=expertpower%2Blifepo4%2Bcharger&qid=1666620956&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=expertpower%2Blifepo4%2Bcharger%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-3&th=1

I haven't had any issues with it and it works well for me. There's faster chargers but with a fish finder battery a 2amp seemed more than fast enough for me; an overnight charge would get me nearly full on my 20ah battery. I would imagine essentially all chargers like this are made in China and ymmv on that front. I am sure you could find a "better" charger for 5-10 times the cost but who knows if it would bring much benefit.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I have been using a Bioenno 20 ah LiFePO4 battery for a couple years.  I have nothing but good to say about it.  I have used it for five days of fishing with my Garmin Striker 7 plus ff without charging and it still had plenty of power to go longer.  I use the charger that came with it.  The charger is really simple and only works for that battery, but it charges quickly and I haven’t had any issues.

And no, I’m quite content with an empty nest right now.

Twenty amp hours?  Twenty?  I thought 10 aH was a lot.

You're sure you don't need some fiber optic cable strung somewhere?

Many come with a charger which would be fine, the "off brand" battery I picked up did not so I grabbed this charger on a recommendation from a friend who had used the same...

[ExpertPower 12V 2A Smart Charger for Lithium LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Rechargeable Batteries]

I haven't had any issues with it and it works well for me. There's faster chargers but with a fish finder battery a 2amp seemed more than fast enough for me; an overnight charge would get me nearly full on my 20ah battery. I would imagine essentially all chargers like this are made in China and ymmv on that front. I am sure you could find a "better" charger for 5-10 times the cost but who knows if it would bring much benefit.

Thank you, Matt.  I looked at it but was bit concerned about some of the comments - presuming they bought the real thing and not a counterfeit (always a dangerous assumption on Amazon).

You and that Nobaddays guy like 20 aH batteries?  I thought the kid's interest in a 10 aH battery was a bit excessive and now I'm sure you're both entertaining yourselves playing video games when the fishing is slow.   :angel:

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I have been using LiFePO4 batteries for almost 2 years now, 200amp-hr, 50amp-hr, several 12amp-hr and 5amp-hr.  Fantastic technology but not cheap. I am really careful with how I charge them. First rule of LiFePO4- never charge if cell temp is below freezing, kills them dead.

I have 2 chargers for them:

For the smaller ones, or to top up the 50amp-hr, I have a Tenergy TB6AC+80W IDBC, probably overkill but allows you to select any battery type, # of cells, allows temperature input and so on. 

For the 50 and 200 substantial charging I use a dedicated LiFePO4 charger: LNLEE 12V15A

cheers, roger

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Matt M

• Sturgeon

Thank you, Matt.  I looked at it but was bit concerned about some of the comments - presuming they bought the real thing and not a counterfeit (always a dangerous assumption on Amazon).

You and that Nobaddays guy like 20 aH batteries?  I thought the kid's interest in a 10 aH battery was a bit excessive and now I'm sure you're both entertaining yourselves playing video games when the fishing is slow.   :angel:

I can get analysis paralysis when reading amazon reviews as well, they can certainly be helpful but I guess it tempers on my expectations vs the cost. If the cost is higher than I get to be a bit more discerning, if lower then I am willing to roll the dice on it. YMMV depending on the amount of time you have to go through all the reviews.

When I was looking to upgrade to Lifepo4 battery I went through and looked at all the different brands, sizes, prices, etc and utimately figured I could purchase an off brand 20ah that may or may not be exactly 20ah, but had been tested to be close to that (+/- 10%) or pay a bit more for a more name brand (but still likely made in the same factory) 8 or 10ah battery. To me the decision seemed easy since I know I am not always the best at charging things and if I forget after a trip (or two) I should still get a good day fishing on it. If I forget more than that then there's no helping me. I also built a simple battery box for it with USB charger and 12v plug for camping or off grid situations, necessary? Probably not, but fun to make during the long winter we this year and last. 
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
For the smaller ones, or to top up the 50amp-hr, I have a Tenergy TB6AC+80W IDBC, probably overkill but allows you to select any battery type, # of cells, allows temperature input and so on. 

For the 50 and 200 substantial charging I use a dedicated LiFePO4 charger: LNLEE 12V15A

cheers, roger

Thank you.  That Tenergy charger isn't too much more costly than the Battery Tender charger I use on my SLA's.  Good news!

I can get analysis paralysis when reading amazon reviews as well, they can certainly be helpful but I guess it tempers on my expectations vs the cost. If the cost is higher than I get to be a bit more discerning, if lower then I am willing to roll the dice on it. YMMV depending on the amount of time you have to go through all the reviews.

Analysis paralysis is what I get.  Don't know about the kid, 'though.

I was looking to upgrade to Lifepo4 battery I went through and looked at all the different brands, sizes, prices, etc and utimately figured I could purchase an off brand 20ah that may or may not be exactly 20ah, but had been tested to be close to that (+/- 10%) or pay a bit more for a more name brand (but still likely made in the same factory) 8 or 10ah battery. To me the decision seemed easy since I know I am not always the best at charging things and if I forget after a trip (or two) I should still get a good day fishing on it. If I forget more than that then there's no helping me. I also built a simple battery box for it with USB charger and 12v plug for camping or off grid situations, necessary? Probably not, but fun to make during the long winter we this year and last. 

Good thoughts to pass along.  Thank you.  My winter project seems to be doing this for someone who obviously thinks I have too much free time.

A question for you fellows using batteries with higher amperages: are they significantly larger than the 10aH batteries?  Not that monster 50aH battery, roger - that just must be a bigger unit.  I'm asking because I have a spare battery box that would hold a 10aH SLA and I'd be happier if I didn't have to build a new box for the kid, but if I must, I must.

Grandkids and their friends are a mixed blessing.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Building battery boxes can be a pain.  I brought my Dewalt based battery box to elk camp and my brother was so enamored with it that I gave it to him.  Now I have to build another one for me.......  New winter project.  :-\
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

DBam

• Rockfish
Here it is. It can do different types of lithium batteries, though I've only used it for lead acid. Let me know if you have any questions, I can pass them on to the person who gave this to me.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you.  I'll see what I can learn online and ask if I can't find anything.  I appreciate it.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

A question for you fellows using batteries with higher amperages: are they significantly larger than the 10aH batteries?  Not that monster 50aH battery, roger - that just must be a bigger unit.  I'm asking because I have a spare battery box that would hold a 10aH SLA and I'd be happier if I didn't have to build a new box for the kid, but if I must, I must.

the 50aH is smaller than most auto batteries and light- 7.8 x 6.5 x 6.7 inches and 11pounds.  not necessarily 'kayak small' but LiFePO4 let you use the full amp-hours so that's a lot of juice in an 11 pound package.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K7MKRF7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Yeah, that is pretty compact - and light.  I'm shocked.

[Wait!  I didn't intend that pun.]

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Building battery boxes can be a pain.  I brought my Dewalt based battery box to elk camp and my brother was so enamored with it that I gave it to him.  Now I have to build another one for me.......  New winter project.  :-\

Look at the bright side. You can now build a better one 😄
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....