Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Fishing Nehalem in March  (Read 1499 times)

BugBoy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
I would like some advice about fishing Nehalem Bay and the mainstem of the river in March. Travels take me to that part of the world and I would like to know what what to fish for and how I should go about it. Thinking that the steelhead may still be in the river at the time and that maybe a chinook or two could be moving up the river. Just looking for a bit of advice on how to target either species. 

If the weather cooperates (no big rain) I am planning on dropping a couple of crab pots in the bay also.

Main thing is getting out on the water and bringing home a something for dinner!!
Thanks for any advice!!!

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
There’s always rockfish off the south jetty in Tillamook Bay. Tide dependent though. Same with the Nehalem if you’re close to the jaws and it’s a strong outbound tide, use caution.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

BugBoy

• Rockfish
Thanks Mojo! I will check the tide to see if they will cooperate on this trip.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Thanks Mojo! I will check the tide to see if they will cooperate on this trip.
You’ll be alright trolling fir salmon up near Nehalem or Wheeler if the tides are wrong, as long as you got good endurance. Plug cut herring, 12-18!inches behind a 6-8 oz weight on a 10-12 inch drop. Gently lay in the water while moving. 3 cranks off the bottom. Turn and repeat, repeat,repeat.

Shannon

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I don't think there will be (m)any salmon in the Nehalem in March. The river is known for its summer and fall run but i have never heard of a spring run in that river. And even if the river had a spring run: March is too early for spring chinook on coastal rivers in general.
Both the main stem Nehalem and the North Fork Nehalem have excellent steelhead runs. The main stem is wild fish only and should be in full swing in March. The North Fork also has hatchery fish (and due to some changes in the program, part of them are arriving late this year, including March).
However, steelhead are racing through tidewater and are hard to intercept in the bay or lower river from a kayak. I would leave the kayak home and fish the Nehalem or NF Nehalem high upriver from the bank for steelhead (bobber and jig or bobber and bead). Or do this in one of the Tillamook rivers.
If you really want to fish from a kayak I would focus on Tillamook Bay for rockfish. However, for that fishery you depend on nice weather (obviously questionable for March) AND the tides need to be good (head out to the fishing grounds with the outgoing tide and have yourself pushed back to the launch with incoming tide - this is critical for TB!). In general TB on a kayak is not a fishery that I would recommend for someone to take on alone if you have never fished it before.   

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
What are your dates? You could also bank fish off the south jetty for rock fish, it’s WAY better before sunrise with glow squid jigs(Burkley) hit me up if you need tackle suggestions for the bay, yak or bank.
Not sure of my availability until I see the orthopedic surgeon on Friday to discuss what my mri of my shoulder shows.

Shannon

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
If you aren't willing to head to Tillamook, or bank fish up on the North Fork, you might consider fishing the surf, either right downtown in Manzanita, or along the Nehalem Spit anywhere you choose to walk in from the state park out to the beach. A heavy salmon spinning rod, a drop shot/bottom fishing rig and a 2 oz lead at the bottom should do the trick.

March is not really the time for the Nehalem, as mentioned above.

If you insist on a boat, and dinner, you could launch from the jetty marina, paddle over to the opposite shore and dig a hefty bag full of purple varnish clams. They are small, but the limit is 72 and you only need 20 or so on a bed of linguine to make a fine meal.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

BugBoy

• Rockfish
We had a wonderful time in Nehalem!
The snow ans cold weather put a bit of a damper on our fishing activities. We did make it out to chase surf perch at the state park. Still need to figure out the surf fishing thing. It was nice to have the dry suit on to stay warm and dry. No perch were harmed in the outings!!

Also tried for some crawdads in the Nehalem, but it must not have been the right time of year.

Did see plenty of waterfoul, eagles and a playful family of otters in the Nehalem River.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
We had a wonderful time in Nehalem!
The snow ans cold weather put a bit of a damper on our fishing activities. We did make it out to chase surf perch at the state park. Still need to figure out the surf fishing thing. It was nice to have the dry suit on to stay warm and dry. No perch were harmed in the outings!!

Also tried for some crawdads in the Nehalem, but it must not have been the right time of year.

Did see plenty of waterfoul, eagles and a playful family of otters in the Nehalem River.

Alsea River is a great crawdad spot.   Either snorkel for them in the summer or drop pots.  Many different access points.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

anything