Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:59:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Stowing bilge pump?  (Read 5813 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I picked up a Scotties at Outdoor Emporium a while back and have just been dropping it into the Rod Pod in the T13, while considering more secure stowage.  Where do folks store their bilge pumps?

Somewhere, here or on some other forum, I ran into mention of heavy-duty double-stick tape and tracked some down at Home Depot.  It is called "Mounting Tape", it's in the paint department, and it's supposedly all-weather. 

My thought is to put a couple strips of the mounting tape on the bottom of the hull and use it to secure the hook side of some velcro.  Then just strap the bilge pump to the center of the bottom of the hull.  Seems a good test of the "all-weather" claims of the tape. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I use pipe clips to the underside of my front hatch.

-Allen

jself

I used some pad eyes and bungee cord to stow it on the deck. I also installed a valley day hatch between my legs so i can bilge without opening a huge hatch and taking on more water. If I ever find my camera charger I'll post some pics.

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I used some pad eyes and bungee cord to stow it on the deck. I also installed a valley day hatch between my legs so i can bilge without opening a huge hatch and taking on more water. If I ever find my camera charger I'll post some pics.

HEHEHE, I seem to have heard that before...
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

jself

yes the elusive charger. I'm to stubborn to buy a new one because I know I'll find it as soon as I do.

OutbackRoy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
  When the kayaks taking on water i don't want to open a hatch to pump..
 Installed it thru hull on the Revo,, check out 'drillin and cuttin' pump install
   Royg

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
My thought is to put a couple strips of the "Mounting Tape" on the bottom of the hull and use it to secure the hook side of some velcro.  Then just strap the bilge pump to the center of the bottom of the hull.  Seems a good test of the "all-weather" claims of the tape.  

Results of the above idea.  Found the bilge pump under the front hatch when I went to load in the Wheelez wheels.  Back home, took a good look and found the velcro strip had come loose from the Mounting Tape.  The tape could not hold onto the continuously soaked fabric of the velcro.  It did seem to be holding to the hull. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
How about adding a rod holder to the back of your seat rest and stowing it there? 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

jself

Needs to be stored on deck. shouldn't open a hatch to get your pump. need a smaller opening to pump and not take more water. Cross bungee and day hatch fill this niche. Also can clip on throw bag to it and store water bottle etc securely through the surf zone:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:18:32 PM by NANOOK »

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
My pump is also velcroed to the bottom of the hull under the hatch. it's held there fine the last couple of times I have been in the ocean. Even if it were to come loose, where's it going to go?
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Even if it were to come loose, where's it going to go?

Somewhere you can't reach it ...

-Allen

goldendog

• Salmon
Very good point Allen! Fortunately, in my Caper, my big ass pump can't go far!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
It doesn't have to go far to not be able to reach it.  If it slips to the back of the kayak or the middle of a kayak with no center hatch, there is no way you'll ever get to it on the water.

-Allen

goldendog

• Salmon
Point taken, clips are the way to go!

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
On some of my kayaks where I've yet to install clip (due purely to laziness), I just put a leash on the pumps and take a wrap around a scupper post.

-Allen

anything