Forum > For Safety's Sake

Essential outerwear for kayak fishing

<< < (2/13) > >>

Spot:

--- Quote from: ConeHeadMuddler on December 02, 2011, 10:55:40 AM ---Just saw this. I'd wear whatever triathlon wetsuit seemed most appropriate, your wetsuit booties, and definitely would have the rain gear along to fight wind-chill. I wear a raincoat over my wetsuit for that purpose, when the chill factor starts cutting in.

Personally I would never wear boot-foot neoprene waders out in the Sound or Ocean when in a yak. Maybe if I was cruising shallow and just off the beach, and wanted to step out and fly cast.   Although they may be the best and warmest for mid-winter wading frozen rivers for steelhead fishing, I wouldn't want to ever take a swim in them.
In a yak, if you capsized and enough water got into your waders, it would be harder to climb back on board, and then you'd have to get the extra water out by going ashore or standing on your head or something. I don't even like wearing my breath able waders with surf booties out there. I only wear waders on my yak when I'm heading up a tidal creek, slow river, or somewhere else skinny and shallow, where I might have to get out and wade. In the summer, I can usually wet wade in the creeks and estuaries.
Wetsuit or a drysuit seems safer for the salt.

--- End quote ---

With a proper wading belt, worn correctly, and a PFD over that, I don't think there's much risk of filling your waders.  I've used breathables and a paddle top in deep water areas for years.  In the ocean, I step up to a full wetsuit or drysuit. 
Great advice on wearing something to cut the wind over a wetsuit!

-Spot-

ConeHeadMuddler:
Wading belt with your waders is an absolute must! I always wear one, even when just wading. However, when I'm wearing my waders paddling, I usually have the belt a bit loose, just enough for comfort. Perhaps  this might be TOO loose if I capsize and can't grab the end of the belt to cinch it tight before water gets in. I usually have my pfd and maybe a splash jacket over the wading belt, making it less accessible. I suppose that if I inhaled mightily and held my breath, the belt would remain tight enough to keep any water out, but eventually I'd have to exhale (even though I like to quip, "I never exhaled!"). ;)

OK, now I think I have it: Inhale mightily when capsizing, then hold breath until I can tighten wading belt. Breathe. Right yak. Climb back on board. Loosen belt. Inventory lost gear. Get spare gear stowed beneath deck, especially the spare dry thermal top stowed in my drybag. Change tops.  Resume fishing.

kardinal_84:
I am not a fan of belt and chest wader set up only because it just about ended my kayaking career before it even got started.  I watched many videos on how it was a good set up.  But inexperience kicked me in the back end BIG time.  I flipped my mini-x and when I hit the water, I was expecting it to just be fridged.  But to my surprise it wasn't that bad.  So I took my time gathering up stuff (Should have done that from on top of my kayak) when i went to reflip my kayak, i couldn't!  What?  It turns out the reason i flipped was in my hurry to brace against an unexpected wake, I jammed my paddle into my handle and pushed down at the exact moment I needed to brace.  Now with more experience, I'm amazed that it happened that way.  But the paddle acted as a huge dagger board and I could not for the life of me while in the water figure out why I couldn't flip the kayak over.  I even cut my tether to my fish finder thinking maybe that had hung up on the bottom and was holding the kayak (bye bye FF).

But no worries, my pfd kept me afloat and I started to swim to shore with kayak in tow.  A landing craft came by and offered assistance when I was less than 20 yards from shore.  Embarrassed, I waved them off saying I could make it and I was fine.  They dropped their front and said "C'mon, we are already right here and headed in."  I took them up on the offer.  When I got out, due to the time I spent in the water, though my belt was on fairly tight, water had seeped in through my fleece and such.  I didn't realize it at the time since water is of course neutrally buoyant when you are in the water.  But once on deck, I couldn't move!  My jacket and clothes were SO heavy I could barely even get the jacket and fleece off of me.  The guys thought I had cramped up and two big guys came to pick me up and they just about ripped their arms out of their socket.  I weighed a TON! I don't know at what point I got too heavy but given my weight, had I been able to flip my kayak over, I don;t think I could have pulled myself up.  Even worse, had I made it the last few feet to shore and on to the rocks, I would have had to strip down practically naked (in front of a dozen onlookers) and climbed the rocks with my kayak.

In this case, it wasn't the cold water that about did me in, it was the weight of the water.  I went out immediately and bought my semi dry suit, but I still didn't fish the rest of the year (happened in August two years back, I think).  Now I of course wear a semi drysuit and PFD at ALL Times (it can get hot in the sun even in Alaska) and have stirrups tied off to both handles JUST in case I need them to scamper on board. 

As embarrassing as it is, I thought I'd share my near miss.  DON'T BE THAT GUY (me)!

Sinker:
I have to admit - I am new to immersion wear. 

My brief but wet experience with it has led me to conclude even with a decent dry top on, the protection I get from my $99 gor-tex Field and stream waders is at best marginal. 

I have gone into cold water several times, and each time the seal around my waist has failed and let water in.  Not a lot, but enough to make me think twice.

I think 2 things are happening. 

1 - the air escaping the airtight gear finds an easy exit around the drytop waist to wader seal, upsetting the drytop gasket seal.

2 - the loose waders have to wrinkle up under the waist gasket because they are being held tight against your waist.  These wrinkles are all areas where there is no gasket seal, and water can continue to get in. 

Granted,  both times the water was not getting in fast,  but I can imagine a situation where that seal would fail more severely in rough seas, or while moving around trying to self rescue. 

For now I am comfortable with the combo close to shore, but if I start extending my range or going out alone I will need to do something else.

I think that once I can afford a drysuit I will get one.  After the clinic yesterday I am considering going the wetsuit route though.

I really want to test all the different options, just so I know what is going to happen. 

Spot:

--- Quote from: Sinker on December 02, 2011, 03:18:13 PM ---
I really want to test all the different options, just so I know what is going to happen.

--- End quote ---

You'll find wetsuits for rent at most surf shops and drysuits for rent at most kayak shops. 
Definitely try before you buy.

-Spot-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version