Forum > Heroes On the Water

HOW & Carry the Load

(1/1)

IslandHoppa:

VOTE!

HOW has been nominated for the Paddle with Purpose award. Please go to Canoe and Kayak Awards to vote. Thanks!

2 - June
St. Petersburg, Fl

"I can do that!" is what one of our heroes said when he saw a Hobie kayak. Since suffering a stroke during his rehabilitation, Brian has very limited strength in his arms and was only able to paddle a very short distance before having to turn back. A chance conversation about a three wheeled trike that the VA had purchased for him led Rik Llewyellan to show him a Hobie Outback. Once Brian saw that kayak, a huge smile appeared on his face, "I can do that". And do it he did. I heard they had a hard time keeping up with him.
Brian joined seven other heroes and their families for a day of paddling and fishing at Fort Desoto Park, located on the tip of Tampa Bay. 

I had the very distinct honor to act as guide for Bill, who had been injured in a helicopter crash during Vietnam.  Telling him I was sorry for not finding the fish, he told me not to worry. "Every day is a good day, fish or no fish". Well we hung in there and the fish gods smiled down on us, as we found some nice little trout.

I was left with another phrase to keep me motivated until our next event.  "Every day is a good day". Man, ain't that the truth.

Bill Howard. Tampa Bay HOW Chapter

Heroes on the Water
101-C North Greenville Ave. #55
Allen, Texas 75002
jim@heroesonthewater.org
214-295-4541

Heroes on the Water is a 501(c)(3) public charity that relies totally on contributions from individuals, corporations and foundations.

Damon "Carried the Load"
The 2012 Carry the Load event started as a 1700-mile relay from West Point, New York to Dallas Texas. On May 27th, the 2012 Carry the Load Dallas event began with the purpose of fostering awareness and restoring reverence around the true meaning of Memorial Day.

Damon, a Navy veteran and kayak fisherman carried the load to honor Jamie Padron, a fallen police officer and Marine. Over 20 hours, Damon walked 68 miles. Here is his story:

I  wanted to reach out to you all and thank you for all your hard work in putting together two AMAZING events: Carry the Load and HOW.  Through these events I have met individuals that I am certain will be lifelong friends.  I grew up in a military family where both my mother and father, my grandfathers and their fathers served in the military.  As a kid, growing up, I had a deep love for both this country and our military and at an early age I knew I wanted to join the military. 

This past Memorial Day during "Carry the Load", as the herd of people thinned out during the overnight walk, I found myself in deep thoughts about what that day meant and all the empty chairs around dinner tables that night in America.  During those times of reflection in the late night and early morning hours, I could truly feel those "unseen hands" pushing me forward . . .  That is a feeling I will carry with me for the rest of my life.  When the 20 hours was over and we all walked that last 12 minutes together, it put everything into perspective for me on how in our everyday lives we NEVER FORGET, but sometimes and I mean sometimes we let the little things overwhelm us.  Now I know, during those overwhelming times that those unseen hands I found that night during my walk still have my '6' and even though they are no longer with us, they still Carry MY Load by their sacrifice.

Two weeks later I traveled to Corpus Christi to participate in HOW. which gave me the opportunity to laugh, fish and have a great time with some of our wounded warriors.  This event lasted for two days and once again I met some amazing individuals that will also become lifelong friends.  On that last day as I was loading my kayak and gear I felt this hand on my back with a voice that stated "See you on the water soon" which came from Scott, a wounded warrior who I had the pleasure to meet at this event and lives in Austin, TX as well.   

This "seen hand" that rested on my back at that moment needed my help in recovery and that is why I put these two events on my calendar for life. Many have served and some had to give more than others and some just need help finding hope again.  These are my "brothers" and we all stand for the same things, so for me representing both of these organizations is my way of giving back and Saying Thank You.

HOW Featured in The Milk Crate Mag 

Report on HOW from Afghanistan! Go to themilkcratemag.com to learn more about HOW, our wounded veterans and our wonderful volunteers. There are interviews and stories from various HOW chapters. This week, Michael Ortiz from Afghanistan and Bill Stroud from San Antonio are featured. Next week, there will be new stories.

Forward this email

This email was sent to aytchr@gmail.com by jim@heroesonthewater.org | 
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
Heroes on the Water | 101-C North Greenville Ave. #55 | Allen | TX | 75002

Lee:
Most of us voted on June 23d. 

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=8693.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version