Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:49:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Salmon Soup? Who has a recipe?  (Read 2822 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Title says it all!

I want to try making salmon soup - fresh and smoked - and I have no recipe ideas.

Care to share?
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Title says it all!

I want to try making salmon soup - fresh and smoked - and I have no recipe ideas.

Care to share?

The first recipe is one I love to cook, it is a Cod recipe but I see no reason it wouldn’t work with Salmon, It is very light in nature and should lend itself to using both smoked and unsmoked Salmon:
http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/poached-cod-tomatoes/
The following are chowders none of which I have cooked although the sources are usually good.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/northwest-salmon-chowder
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/salmon-chowder-recipe.html#!
http://www.marthastewart.com/286421/salmon-chowder.
Buon appetito.
Tutti a tavola a mangiare. :P
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Got 'em printed and in the recipe notebook.

Thank you.
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

no_oil_needed

• Lingcod
One way I really like salmon poached in a flavorful broth, and you can basically serve some or all of the broth as soup. I'd stay away from the wine-based poaching as that tends to be too much acid for soup, but anything savory with enough salt and no cheese will suffice. I don't have a recipe as I usually cook more by feel and taste than by the book. Poaching in miso soup is very good.
Relax. You'll live longer.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I rarely follow a recipe or write my own down because I focus more on specific flavors & ingredient combinations and work from there. Sometimes I may want a more chowder like consistency & others I may be looking for a light broth. I personally will lightly poach the salmon in a broth, remove it & add it back at the end as to preserve the natural flavor & not overcook it. With that said, envision the flavor profiles of your desired final product & move forward from there.
Here's a list of ingredients that I would include in a Salmon Chowder recipe:
Salmon, Leeks, Onion, Celery, Carrots, Shallots, Garlic, Lemon/Preserved lemon, Herbs(thyme, tarragon, etc.), Potato, Celery Root, chicken/Vegetable broth; finish with Cream/Powdered Milk
Good luck!
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
One way I really like salmon poached in a flavorful broth, and you can basically serve some or all of the broth as soup. I'd stay away from the wine-based poaching as that tends to be too much acid for soup, but anything savory with enough salt and no cheese will suffice. I don't have a recipe as I usually cook more by feel and taste than by the book. Poaching in miso soup is very good.

I rarely follow a recipe or write my own down because I focus more on specific flavors & ingredient combinations and work from there. Sometimes I may want a more chowder like consistency & others I may be looking for a light broth. I personally will lightly poach the salmon in a broth, remove it & add it back at the end as to preserve the natural flavor & not overcook it. With that said, envision the flavor profiles of your desired final product & move forward from there.
Here's a list of ingredients that I would include in a Salmon Chowder recipe:
Salmon, Leeks, Onion, Celery, Carrots, Shallots, Garlic, Lemon/Preserved lemon, Herbs(thyme, tarragon, etc.), Potato, Celery Root, chicken/Vegetable broth; finish with Cream/Powdered Milk
Good luck!

I'm good with most soups and some chowders and I don't have a recipe for any of them, either.  I've never tried making a fish soup or stew and I had no idea how to treat the salmon when cooking it, but I'm getting the idea.  This is all good and I appreciate it.

Thank you both.

anything