Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:29:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:03:52 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[April 17, 2024, 03:57:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Looking for Tips on Attaching Cart  (Read 2094 times)

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Been using the Wilderness Systems HD cart on my Bigwater 132 PDL for about a year.  In parking lots and boat ramps I pretty much have the system down.  Yesterday I launched off the side of the road on a slope at a culvert.  Yak went in the water just fine as gravity did its job.  Getting the thing out after fishing was another story.  Had a hard time finding the cart in the muddy water underneath the kayak and was up to my elbows in water trying to get the strap around the cart crossbar.  Lugging the thing up the slope was pure entertainment.  I typically secure the strap to the drive.  In this case it would probably been a whole lot easier leaving the drive out as well as all my gear. 

Monkeyfist and LawyerBob showed up after my comedy routine.  Monkeyfist had a home made cart with a rope that he basically just threw under his Hobie and then pulled a rope attached to the cart....looked a whole lot easier.  He also used it on LayerBob's stripped down Salty and it seemed to work but not as easy as on his Hobie.

I am looking for any tips, ideas, and pictures of how you wrestle your kayaks in the wild and in particular how you attach your carts when launching at unimproved/improvised sites.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 08:18:15 AM by Oldhammer »

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Here’s the launch point to provide a bit of context.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
It might be more of a launch issue and less of a cart problem. I keep a pair of pruning shears in the truck for spots like this.  Five minutes of work and you would have a much improved launch your cart might work better at.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I have the heavy-duty Wilderness Systems cart and fished there for 3 days with my Old Town Autopilot. When launching and landing I skipped the cart and parked my truck on the side of the road and just slide it in, and dragged it up. I cant imagine trying to get a cart under the kayak while still in the water :)
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
When launching and landing I skipped the cart and parked my truck on the side of the road and just slide it in, and dragged it up. I cant imagine trying to get a cart under the kayak while still in the water :)
Never been there, but looking at the photo that's what I was thinking.

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I’ll throw another wrinkle.
That dirt is owned by the D R Johnson lumber company.
I spoke with a guy going duck hunting up the 5 mile arm.
He was a bit upset over the proliferation of no hunting, fishing, or anything else signs he’s seeing.
Improvement of the launch may bring unwanted attention by them.
It’s an interesting fishery, you have to time it right or it’s just exercising.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Assuming there aren't a ton of sharp rocks, I'd offload what I can, secure the other items to the kayak, and then tie a long rope to the nose of the kayak and pull it up w/o using any wheels.

If there are a ton of sharp rocks that don't preclude cart use, I'd do the same thing but stop just as soon as the stern is out of water... then slap on the cart, and resume pulling.

If I used this type of launch w/ any frequency, I'd consider a pulley system to decrease pulling effort.

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas.

anything