Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:33:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: thigh-straps  (Read 2336 times)

juddsmith

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2022
Too few kayak fishermen know about and USE ...!!!..."thigh straps" (to gain "edge control') of their boat.

Query the I-Net for product availability and photo-what-they-look-like.

The straps MOUNT on each side (to clip-in mount-points at the "rails" of your boat) forward-at-the-level-of-your-feet....and.....to-the-rear-of-your-butt.

You USE the straps....by adjusting them so that BOTH straps....come to the    i n s i d e    of your knees.

NOW VISUALIZE....if you "pinch" ypur knees together...!!!...the straps "come toght"    NOW CRITICALLY VISUALIZE that when those straps "come taut....YOU GAIN "EDGE CONTROL" OF YOUR BOAT."

Only....with "Edge Control"....are yoy NOT just "a bug sitting on a bark-chip"......

You HAVE (more than once) in re-entering the beach from the ocean...been forced sideways....and then capsized.

With Edge Control of your kayak....however....you can use your knees....PINCHED HARD TOGETHER to "lift" the shore-side rail of your kayak...while LEANING Hard..!!!!...and bracing with your paddle....to the Ocean-side of your boat.

The "broken wave"...will sweep you and your boat...all the way to the sand....w i t h o u t...forcing your boat into capsize.

The technique I am describing....is-in-fact....a more "regular-and-reliable-way....of re-entering a beach....than attempting to "surf your boat" back to the sand.

The kayak-design that is "most suited" to this technique.....are all those "Sit On Top" designs....pretty-much-flat-decked.....with minimal center-depression.

Correct "Mount Points" for thigh straps can be absent....in which case the Boater must install them him/her self....using VERY STOUT "blind fasteners".

If every single one....!!!...of all your previous "re-entries" From Ocean...to Beach....has resultted in an embarrasing "yard sale" of gear/boat/ paddle...and you....Then Understand.....that the use of thigh straps (and learning to use them) can/will Turn Your Entire Ocean Kayaking  Experience.....a r o u n d....!!!!....forever.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Thanks, but will they work with a mirage drive?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I've added anchor points for thigh straps to both my Ocean Kayak 13' Trident and to my Hobie 13' Revolution.  I'm a long-time whitewater kayaker, and know the control over your kayak which is provided by the thigh pads, hip pads, and foot braces in a whitewater kayak, or thigh straps in a sit-on-top kayak.  Obviously you can't use thigh straps when pedaling a pedal drive kayak, but I always take my Mirage Drive out and paddle when going out and back in through the surf zone.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I'm thinking we have a 'bot in the house. First asking for fishing reports on the first post and now? Thigh straps... I could be wrong though...

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

juddsmith

• Plankton
Fred (polonius) Trujilo...no, no "bot" here...
Just knowledgeble boater... an active kayak angler since 1972...who'se seen too many SOT "yard sales"...and who'se been fishing the ocean from before SOT's were ever thought of.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Then welcome to NWKA! I shall await a proper introduction as is customary.

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Fred (polonius) Trujilo

Lol -- shots fired! I thought the organization of your post was a bit strange (the use of all caps, the '....', the spacing, etc), and I did wonder if it was reposted from somewhere. On the other hand, you're discussing a topic that is surely not well known amongst kayak anglers. Just providing feedback, maybe contextualizing where Mr. Fred was coming from. 

an active kayak angler since 1972...

I'd love to hear more about the platforms that you've fished off of over the years, etc. When did you first use an SOT, and when did you first use one for fishing?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Over-generalize much?  We know about thigh straps.  We understand them.  We had an exceptional kayaker on the board - he's still active on NCKA - who started a long discussion on thigh straps, and we have out own pmmpete who has discussed them several times.

Sheesh, guys, SEARCH is your buddy before making assumptions. 
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

juddsmith

• Plankton
Born 4/15/1939 at St. V's hosp...OR...I am "a native Son"..despite that Oregon charges me $100-a-year for an out-of-state Fishing License.

ADMIRE ..!!!..the SOT-boat design (bought 8-foot Ocean Kayak for my wife)...as being way-more practical for fishing than my whitewater or "Sea Kayak"....but in '72 there were no SOT boats....I have adapted my "decked" boats to fishing.

Annual Vacation-boat Odell/Waldo/Gold .. lakes ... Pacific City... Nehalem/Tillamook/Nestucca/Siletz/Willamette .... Lincoln City, Neskoin, Manzanita beach-surf .... Salmon River mouth...!!!!...../Cascade Head/ Cape Meares

At age 83...160 lbs...I know my luck...to remain strong and able.

Love my boats....love my adaptations of them for fishing...love fishing....love Oregon-as-it-was....DISPAIR....of Gov's Gavin Newsom...Kate Brown...Jay Insley....Dispair at "the introduction of wolves"....protection of White Sharks and Sea Lions.... Dispair of some N. Y. Times journalist-who-wants-to-be-Governor...

ANYONE who rejects Nuclear Power...is a NON-Environmentalist..!!!...

If someone would just tell me if that Public Launch at Depot Bay is reliable-to-be-open...ALL my questions & needs would be satisfied.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

If someone would just tell me if that Public Launch at Depot Bay is reliable-to-be-open...ALL my questions & needs would be satisfied.

Welcome.  Yes the ramp at Depoe Bay has been open every time I have tried using it and there is a fish cleaning station right there. A word of caution that it does fill up quickly, especially on weekends and even more on all depth halibut weekends.  Overall, it is a great place to launch.  Have a VHF radio on channel 80 to communicate with the Coast Guard to verify “the hole” is clear because it is narrow and generally one way traffic at a time.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Yeah, looks like mainly for paddle kayaks. I've been over enough to know I just want the least amount of things to deal with as possible. I ditched all of my lanyards after my last go round.

Wilyakfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Good to know there's somebody older than me out there.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I once caught a thigh strap on the fly at a wedding reception.  It was an interesting evening.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice intro Juddsmith! 

I agree with you about the thigh straps.  I used to take my Cobra F-n-Dive out surfing regularly.  That was an epic surfing yak!  My Ocean Kayaks faired reasonably well without the straps but I'd bring them on more challenging days.  Haven't tried them on my Hobie yet but I don't think that even thigh straps will help a Hobie surf.  There's just no rocker on them so they tend to dive and pitch pole.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Wilyakfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Spot, it's not clear to me if you used the thigh straps on your Cobra. If you did, I'm curious what kind you used because I'm thinking of getting some for my Fish and Dive. It surfs pretty good as you know, but if straps would help, I'd get some. Your thoughts?

anything